What's new

TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Edd

New Around Here
Bought a TP-Link AC1750 (Archer C7) expecting there to be some turbulence (based on the information in the SNB review) since I'm running an Asus PCE-AC66 adapter on my main machine. Yikes. What a mess. Hours of tweaking (firmware, router settings, adapter settings, router positioning, cursing in at least two languages, etc.) would not produce a stable connection at 5GHZ (even with "ac" turned off). The TP-Link settings interface is archaic to say the least and the courteous but misguided support person who answered an email (with specific reference to the PCE-AC66 and various settings) was unable to provide more than general fluff in response. (She suggested I adjust channel width on the 5GHZ setting. This is not available in the current firmware).

(Please scroll down to latest update).

Last edited:
Hi,
Wondering if it behaves at least on -N mode if you tried it?

Did try N only

As I mentioned in my original message, yes I tried N only (setting the 5GHZ to a/n - no ac). No good. Nothing on the 5GHZ side worked properly (with the PCE-AC66).

(Please scroll down to latest update).

Last edited:
Sorry you're having such a difficult time with the Archer C7. I bought one cuz it seemed like the best option for total throughput (wired and wireless) at less than $200. I bought one for $150 and was so pleased that I bought another when the price dropped to $120 to use as a wireless bridge to connect my basement with the main floor of my house on the 5Ghz AC band.

Check my detailed review on Amazon if you like to see the numbers. Some of them are substantially better than SNB's review.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1OD0A...e=UTF8&ASIN=B00CUD1KJK&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

Review

Read your Amazon review. Kudos.

After struggling with the C7 for several days, I have called it off. No consistent results with any of the many setting permutations I have tried (channels, bandwidth limiting, IP binding, physical interference mitigation, cable swaps, etc.). 5G performance (with ac ON and OFF) is a mess. Failures appear to be random. We'll see if an eventual firmware update makes any difference.

Last edited:
TP-Link C7

Its Xmas Eve I have just received the router & looking at these posts wonder if I did the right thing?.
None of the reviews I read prior to buying flagged up so many problems - lets hope I get it working.
BTW I have no idea what adapter is in an iPad or Macbook Pro so I expect there will be issues - watch this space

It's like cars...

German Engineering/Italian Design - this likely is a win....

The inverse might not be true...

sfx

Last edited:
Well hey, that is good news. Now, if I could just get my hands on one (actually two). They were just $87 the other day, but I see they are back up to $99 now. I guess I'll just have to wait for the next sale again.

I was thinking about trying out this router. But with the 2.4 GHz antennas being internal and in Tim's review they have weak range. This is a negative for me as I still have many 2.4 GHz devices upstairs and outside.

2.4GHz isn't weak range, it is just middle of the pack from what I see looking at the various router charts.

I do wish that the radios used shared dual band antennas though. That or that they at least used regular u.fl connectors instead of soldered on.

I still want one, as the 11ac performance seems stellar and that is what I care more about (well, 5GHz performance in general, which it seems to have in spades). I have pretty good 2.4GHz overlap already in my house between my router and my AP, so signal strength isn't a big care for me, but 2.4GHz speed is very high and 5GHz speed and range are very high.

Down the road I'd probably try desoldering the internal 2.4GHz to mount external antennas, that or mount RP-SMA connectors to the coax wiring. Not sure which would be easier to do. A C7 Archer would be a perfect outdoor AP for me, but I'd need the 2.4GHz to be external as my current setup has pigtails running through my garage wall with the antennas mounted outside. That garage wall has around -15dB of signal blocking otherwise. Just running a TP-Link 849nd right now, but I'd love both 5GHz and 11ac coverage outside at some future date. Of course it is going to look a little cluttered going from 2 antennas hanging down from my roof eves to 6 antennas...but them's the breaks.

I was thinking about trying out this router. But with the 2.4 GHz antennas being internal and in Tim's review they have weak range. This is a negative for me as I still have many 2.4 GHz devices upstairs and outside.
It's not necessarily internal antennas that affect range.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!