What's new

TP-Link C3150 vs Asus RT-AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gp-se

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone, I recently purchased both of these routers, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one to keep. My setup is a pfsense box with Gigabit internet from my service provider. Using an ethernet cable I get 940mb/s download speeds. On the TP-Link I can get 700-800mb/s download over WiFi, but with the Asus the speeds are all over the place, usually 350-600mb/s over WiFi. Also the Asus doesn't have good coverage and a few spots my phone would drop WiFi because the signal was so weak. The TP-Link covers my entire house with good signal. The routers were in the same spot for testing, and my laptop (MacBook Pro AC1300) in the same spot for all the tests. Both were set with similar settings (channel 40 then channel 149, 80mhz bandwidth). Most people would say to keep the TP-Link because it constantly provides higher speeds and better coverage, but I feel like TP Link isn't supporting this model anymore, because the last firmware update was almost a year ago. The Asus on the other hand receives constant firmware updates and includes a lot of security fixes. I'm worried with TP-Link they don't put out firmware updates that include security updates, which is important to me. From all the reviews I've read the Asus is supposed to have good coverage, but I'm not seeing it, it seems to have the same coverage as the RT-AC1900P which I had before.

Should I keep the TP-Link, even though it may not have any firmware updates for security and may not be supported anymore? Or should I go back to the Asus RT-AC1900P since the RT-AC3100 performs the same?
I wanted to try the Netgear R7800, but cannot find it anywhere in Canada.

You've stated the pros and cons. Only you can make the choice.

Lots of firmware updates doesn't necessarily mean better. It can mean buggy firmware that is rushed to market and needs fixing.

You've stated the pros and cons. Only you can make the choice.

Lots of firmware updates doesn't necessarily mean better. It can mean buggy firmware that is rushed to market and needs fixing.
Thanks for replying. Which router would you suggest? should I wait for the C3150 v2 to come to Canada and try that? I haven't heard much feedback on the C3150 v2 so I'm unsure if it's better than the C3150 v1.
Is it posible there is some settings on the Asus AC3100 that I need to adjust to get the same coverage as the C3150?

I ended up returning the Asus C3100 and keeping the TP-Link C3150. The TP-Link has much better coverage and speed than the Asus C3100, also it's more consistent, the Asus would have speeds all over the place on speed tests, the TP-Link is solid.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online