What's new

TP-Link C3200 vs. Netgear R8000-100NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

energized

Occasional Visitor
I'd appreciate some advice from the experts for a newbie such as myself with a few basic questions.

First, is the "R8000-100NAS" different from a regular "R8000" or are they the same?
(I told you I'm a newbie)

Also, I'm wondering if I should be interested in the dd-wrt open source software for the R8000-100NAS, as opposed to the C3200 which I think, but I'm not positive, cannot load any other firmware. How much price differential is it worth to be able to load open-source firmware?

And, as a follow-up, I'm not even really sure if there is any noticeable benefit to a "regular" user such as myself from open-source. Can people see a noticeable speed increase? What are the other great benefits, and if they're so great, why don't the TP-Link and/or Netgear people just put them in as optional parameters in their factory firmware? One concern is somehow I'm wondering if one works better with the Roku than the other.

And finally, are there any strong opinions for/against either one? They look fairly similar to me, but then again, that doesn't mean much.

Thanks in advance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!