What's new

TP-Link EAP245 poor latency and dropping lots of packets

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jerry Stern

New Around Here
I am having a problem with lots of dropped packets and long RTT latency within my LAN with my TP-Link EAP245 access point on 5GHz but not 2.4GHz. I need real-time packet management for wireless remote control of a ham radio transceiver where both wireless remote and hardwired radio have to be on the same LAN.

I believe it is the TP-Link AP because I have tested the same setup with two different ISP’s (Optimum cable and Fios both using WPA2) in my workshop so distance is not a factor. Both ISPs provide short Pings (10-40ms) and upload speeds >75 Mbps and download > 50 Mbps.

For testing – my ham radio is only in receiver mode so no interfering RF signals and both routers are nearby. In my final situation, the router will be 75’ away, through some stone and metal walls so I planned to have a long run of CAT6 from the router via a POE switch to the TP-Link EAP245 access point.

But for my testing, everything is in the same workshop.

First setup: Optimum Cable ISP with D-Link DIR 866L WiFi Router. My wireless radio remote works great with the router 2.4G SSID as well as the 5 GHz SSID – with no dropped packets. I then added the EAP245 with two different SSID’s and my wireless radio remote works great on the EAP245 2.4GHz SSID but shows poor signal strength and high rates of dropped packets on the EAP245 5GHz SSID.

Second setup: Fios with their G1100 WiFi Router. Identical results as with the Optimum setup without and with the EAP245.

Can I safely assume the problem rests with the TP-Link EAP245? Any other settings that may help fix the problem or identify the problem?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!