What's new

tp link omada or similar, questions on pieces needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JS_racer

Regular Contributor
I see 2 routers listed, one like 60, one 150$ are both decent for home use.??
Guess a switch is needed at that location, only using 4 ports with my asus, are managed switches at other locations needed vs dumb ones?? Have a dumb 8port gigabit in my media room area.
Is a controller needed, or would software on a synology work ??
Any thoughts on access points and recommendations on them?? Wifi 6

Looking at the dream machine or similar, not sure I would utilize it much, no entry, phones, security..

The other option might be a Synology RT6600ax or 2??
Using an asus ax86s now , still in my return window.
Using guest network for isolating iot stuff, have all 3 2.4ghz guest being used..

Been reading for a week or 2, trying to learn. This would be my first venture into a setup like this.
Thanks so very much for your time

The minimums:

- ER605 V2.6 Router, Gigabit + multi-WAN, $60
- TL-SG108PE Switch, Easy Smart + 4-port PoE, $62
- EAP610 V2 AP, AX1800-class compact size, $100
- Software Controller, but OC200 optional, $100

The router and the AP are Omada SDN compatible. The switch is not, but has own UI and is the same physical size as the router - both look really nice one on top of the other. All components above are with native VLAN support. The AP is wireless mesh capable, PoE power. All prices - Amazon USA today.

Is a controller needed, or would software on a synology work ??

Omada Software controller runs on Windows/Linux different versions. Not sure about Synology. It is needed for 802.11k/v/r roaming, wireless mesh options, adds features to SafeStream routers not available in stand alone mode, more Guest Network authentication methods, remote control, multi-AP central management, network use stats, etc. many things. You can play with demo online here:

OC200 hardware controller makes the system more independent and is PoE powered as well. I would go with OC200 in a long run.

@Tech9 Thanks so very much!
Sounds like a oc200 makes sense to include.

In your opinion, is this a decent direction to go, vs say unifi or something similar?? Vs an asus or consumer router
I appreciate your time and help, thanks

Looking at that demo, sure seems much different than the asus I'm use to... lol
Everything is a learning opportunity, guessing it's worth the effort.

Last edited:
In your opinion, is this a decent direction to go, vs say unifi or something similar?

Compared to UniFi with Omada you get similar or better performance equipment for less. The UI is not as polished and pretty, but functional and useful. Both are more expensive compared to home routers, but you get better quality more stable small business oriented setup. With separate components you have the option to upgrade what is needed only and continue using the rest. In a long term you get better return of investment. Omada and UniFi are user friendly and don't require too much networking skills to setup and operate.

Home routers are good option when you don't know much about networking and want something cheaper. They are easy to setup and move around when needed, the UI has already made by someone else configuration presets and you don't need to know what's actually happening under the hood. They offer router, switch and access point in one unit already connected together and ready to go. There is a lot of marketing involved in form of shape, color, accents, RGB, number of external antennas, gaming designation, somewhat working features advertisement, etc. and you pay for it all at the time of purchase. They are mostly disposable units you have to replace entirely when you want to upgrade.

No. Universal screwdriver with bits in the handle vs DeWalt power tools box.

Say, range from an access point vs like an ac86u or ax86u ??
Just a loose ballpark compared to say a EAP670 or similar?
Thanks so very much

Say, range from an access point vs like an ac86u or ax86u ??

There is no answer to this question. You get one AP and add more where needed. Multi-AP systems work best with more APs on lower power. Home routers work best as single AP on maximum power allowed in the region. Different devices with different purpose and use cases.

Thanks for tip...

Omada seems very similar to "Ubiquiti" https://www.ui.com/ i own already "LiteBeam 5AC gen2" for getting 5Ghz net from provider.

So which router to get from TP-Link ? to be in similar FW level as Asus on Merlin? do they do some incl Wifi?

Or i need to get LAN Router + some AP for wifi Mesh network?

Thanks
The minimums:

- ER605 V2.6 Router, Gigabit + multi-WAN, $60
- TL-SG108PE Switch, Easy Smart + 4-port PoE, $62
- EAP610 V2 AP, AX1800-class compact size, $100
- Software Controller, but OC200 optional, $100

The router and the AP are Omada SDN compatible. The switch is not, but has own UI and is the same physical size as the router - both look really nice one on top of the other. All components above are with native VLAN support. The AP is wireless mesh capable, PoE power. All prices - Amazon USA today.

Or i need to get LAN Router + some AP for wifi Mesh network?

Look at the example above, please. Search what the components listed are and what they do on the network. If you want all-in-one device for couple of hundred bucks with 3rd party firmware on it - stick to Asus home routers and hope for the best with AiMesh.

Look at the example above, please. Search what the components listed are and what they do on the network. If you want all-in-one device for couple of hundred bucks with 3rd party firmware on it - stick to Asus home routers and hope for the best with AiMesh.
To unterstand your suggestion setup, even other more tech friend of mine is suggesting something similar on Mikrotik

And Yeah thanks for pointing me some direction -> Did some research in between...

pure LAN Router + 1Gbps switch 8x LAN (or more per need) + 1-2x APs to spread Wifi signal

1. TP-Link - OS with Omada looks fine , also more clear vs RouterOS (Mikrotik). Not many routers in range, so easier to pick, but somehow HW looks old vs Option 2,3,4

ER605 V2 - HW bit outdated DRAM 256 MB DDR, nothing about CPU

ER7212PC - Professional Hardware: Dual-Core CPU with 1GB DDR3 memory provides stellar performance for up to 12× Gigabit ports.

OC200 - to understand his function -> its Optional in case i would NOT use PC software "Omada Software Controller" to configure Omada router?
In other words if i install software, all the configs, logs, traffic etc is stored anyway on router it self?

1672256144925.png
1672256184397.png

TP-Link switches i already own few...

Would like to clarify:

In VPN i didnt found "WireGuard" (my provider will be switching from OpenVPN) to this one so just want to be sure its supported
How is it with device (per IP/MAC) traffic tracking = which IP/sites they visit ? Is this feature there? Asus has it, usefull for kids / filter

2. Mikrotik - "oldschool" looking OS, tons of settings, seems way more complex vs Omada, prices similar to option 1 and 3

3. Ubiquiti https://www.ui.com/edgemax/comparison/ - they looks fine, even OS, i do already own their device and yeah there were some FW issues in the past. Also many people complain about lack of updates and poor support, eg. https://www.servethehome.com/ubiquiti-edgerouter-er-12p-12-port-router-review/

4. Asus https://rog.asus.com/us/networking/rog-rapture-gt-ax6000-model/ device all in one, but "consumer" grade with higher price vs above "semi-professional" grades routers.

Thanks

but somehow HW looks old

This is the minimum cheapest hardware for Omada SDN good for Gigabit ISP or under. There are many Omada compatible products ranging from this few hundred dollars setup example to price in thousands. You can use any router with Omada Wi-Fi system only - x86 fanless mini PC with OpenWrt, OPNsense, pfSense, Sophos, Untangle... Firewalla or even Asus* with Asuswrt-Merlin or FreshTomato on it... whatever you like and your budget and networking skills allow. You can start with few components only and build your system in stages until you get what you want from it.

* - no VLAN support in Asuswrt and weak Raspberry Pi like hardware relying on NAT acceleration

Thinking up loud....

I'm running already Unraid Os server and i guess PFSense is possible via docker...

Would need to add extra ETH card as i have only 1x LAN port on MB now.
Also one issue is - if server goes down from some reason HW failure,reboot and such im without internet/routing, so i need to connect to Server LCD/Keyboard

So i rather keep it separated.

MiniPC solutions are also tricky, those you sent - In EU not sure about availability and again if it goes down and i need to wait for RMA from Ali/China this take ages.
Need to search for something local what is available and could suit my needs.

PFSense i was always thinking is just a Firewall, but i'm currently watching this guy
and it seems it's an "full Router OS" system and if i dont like i could use those " OpenWrt, OPNsense, pfSense, Sophos, Untangle... Firewalla" you mentioned, right?

So im not only sticked with HW provider solution from TPlink, ubnt, Mikrotik etc...so i have more options to pick what i like without need to change HW again due to FW missing features, right?

Don't be in a hurry. Run some of the above on whatever x86 hardware you have available and decide what suites your needs better. I personally run pfSense because it has good support, it's popular and has excellent packages available for it. Also, my firewall is from Netgate. What you see in Asuswrt-Merlin is actually slimmed down limited resources router optimized versions of what's available for pfSense and other similar products. Untangle is very user friendly and has pretty graphs, if you like visual representation of things. It's not free though, $50/y for home license. It has 30-day full options trial. OPNSense has refreshed UI and frequent updates, some like it better than pfSense. Limited community support though. OpenWrt on x86 is for more advanced users, needs more knowledge even to start. Sophos Home Firewall is something interesting to check, but has some quirks. Firewalla is a ready to go user friendly product (hardware, software, app), but comes at cost. There is much more out there to explore beyond Asus router with Asuswrt-Merlin.

thanks for good tips! really appreciate it

Still if i go opensource OS path , will need HW to run it on...

I quickly just found https://www.minipc.de/catalog/il/3106 which could word, just need to add RAM. Will search further anyway...

If i go with "minipc" then the setup of Omada or Unifi just changes to this:

Minipc (PfSense / OPNSense) + basic 1Gbps switch 8port + AP from TP-Link or Ubiquiti
I can skip the router ER605 v2 / 2.6, as the ISP signal/data are running via Ubiquiti "LiteBeam LBE-5AC-Gen2" which is acting as "bridge"

Router/Firewall -> Switch with PoE -> Access Points with PoE

You have to decide what do you want - 1001 features to play with or something simple and good enough for home network. The example in post #2 is exactly this - simple and good enough for home network. Not too expensive, user friendly UI, all from the same manufacturer and can be up and running in 1h time if you have Ethernet wires available already. Then you have Internet and free time to do something more enjoyable with your life.

Router/Firewall -> Switch with PoE -> Access Points with PoE

You have to decide what do you want - 1001 features to play with or something simple and good enough for home network. The example in post #2 is exactly this - simple and good enough for home network. Not too expensive, user friendly UI, all from the same manufacturer and can be up and running in 1h time if you have Ethernet wires available already. Then you have Internet and free time to do something more enjoyable with your life.
Problem is that the TP-Link doesnt seems like to have Wireguard support yet

Even here is something mentioned that was shown in Emulator

FW updates are lacking seems like : Published Date: 2022-03-22

Or is it that new features comes with Omada?

This is the issue with those bigger producers D-Link,TP-Link, UBNT....there are really weak on releasing FW updates / new features

" Then you have Internet and free time to do something more enjoyable with your life." - that would be if i just buy another Asus device :D

But i get what do u mean.

My issue is that i want to have at least same standard within Router OS/FW as on Asus Merlin, what for is good HW when the FW is basic? TP-Link FW (from what i can see https://emulator.tp-link.com/dist/index.html) looks like 20y ago

Havent found some DEMO example for Ubiquiti EdgeRouters , so cant compare

---
EDIT: Seems like i havent sent it out yesterday

Did additional checks today :
- Mikrotik maybe available in 2-3 weeks
- Ubiquiti - not even a date for EdgeRouter ER-4 or ER-6 or UBNT UISP Router

Only available is TP-Link

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!