What's new

TP-Link repeaters wastes 715 MB/month on NTP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nemni

Occasional Visitor
If you’ve got a recent model TP-Link repeater (not routers!) on your network, you may want to look more closely into its NTP related traffic. Especially if you’re paying by the megabyte or are on a tight monthly data cap!

I found that the firmware on TP-Link repeaters sends and receives 715 MB per month on NTP and related DNS traffic. A normal always-on Windows client uses 1,6 KB per month on the same task for comparison. This behavior is intentional from TP-Link as they’re misusing NTP as a internet connectivity checking tool. There is no off-switch for this feature.

Set your firewalls to block all outgoing traffic from your TP-Link repeater to mitigate the problem. —oh, and be sure to complain to TP-Link support. They should fix this or at least be made very aware of it.

This behavior is intentional from TP-Link as they’re misusing NTP as a internet connectivity checking tool. There is no off-switch for this feature.

I hope they're using their own NTP server for this and not abusing someone else's server like D-Link did a few years ago. Those D-Link router went belly up the day that NTP server decided to go down...

I hope they're using their own NTP server for this and not abusing someone else's server like D-Link did a few years ago. Those D-Link router went belly up the day that NTP server decided to go down...
Of course, they’re not. They’re spreading the load across various universities, NIST, and the volunteer-run NTP Pool Project. See the article for details.

Of course, they’re not. They’re spreading the load across various universities, NIST, and the volunteer-run NTP Pool Project. See the article for details.

So they're abusing other people's resources. That's pretty bad...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!