What's new

TP-LINK Smart Switch questions...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wootcat

Occasional Visitor
I've used Netgear switches exclusively over the past decade, but decided to try out a TP-Link after hearing some positive things. I attached it to my network tonight and find I have some questions.

Model: TL-SG105E

I find it interesting that when I attached the smart switch to my network, my Netgear router, which is my DHCP server, doesn't see the switch and apparently doesn't assign it an IP address.

Q1. Is this to be expected? Is there anything I can do to get it to appear in my Netgear's "Attached Devices" list?

The instructions state to access the web-based GUI using 192.168.0.1 I could not access the switch that way, I am assuming because I set up my network as a 10.x.x.x network.

Q2. Any ideas on how to access the web-GUI from my 10. network?

Q3. If I use the provided software instead of the web-GUI to change the switch's address to a 10. address, would I then be able to access it directly? I would assume so, but having it not appear in my Netgear's "Attached Devices" list gives me pause.

Thanks!

I am not sure what to tell you but as far as I know the "Easy Smart" switches (which the TL-SG105E is) from TP-Link do not have a built in web interface. You have to use the TP-Link Utility software every time you want to get into the config. The "Smart" switches have built in web interfaces. I have both types in my house. I downloaded the manual and it does talk about a web interface. I can only assume that manual is either wrong or it is used for both series of switches. Once you give the switch an IP Address it should show up in your "Attached Devices". Anyway I have used TP-Link switches for several years and really like them. They have been rock solid.

After looking at the TP-Link website it appears that V2 "Easy Smart" hardware has a built in web interface. I checked my three "easy smart" switches and they are all V1. So if you have a V2 then it appears you should be able to use a web interface. Not sure when they started shipping V2. My newest "Easy Smart" switch was purchased in November 2015.

Yes, mine does. Before I attached it to my network, I tried a direct connection between my computer and the TP-Link.

I disconnected my computer from the router, so the router would not be handing out IP addresses. When I did that, the 192. address worked and I was able to access the web interface, but I did not want to try to configure anything in this state as it was, of course, nothing like my current network.

Any answers to the questions above?

It looks like your switch comes with a static IP address already set. So you need to log into the web GUI (like you explain above), or use the utility and either set it to get an address from your router using DHCP or set it to a static IP Address that you want it to have (like a 10.x address). Once you do that it should show up in your attached devices and you should be able to manage it how you want.

You can enable DHCP client on the switch to give it an ip address since it still is part of the 192 network. I suggest reserving IPs for some of your hardware like switches and give them a name by using a static entry in the dns resolution service. I do that for my network and i can just type a defined domain name to access some things on LAN like my printer, switch, wifi AP, even servers. For example i enter a static entry printer.local so if i type it in in the browser i can access my network printer instead of having to keep track of ip addresses, i let my router keep track of it for me including uptimes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!