What's new

TP-Link TL-SG1016PE Managed Switch - can't find on router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pbc

Regular Contributor
So picked up a TP-Link managed switch and hooked it up today to my Netgear R7000 router. Used the Smart utility to reset the switch's IP Address to 192.168.1.250 on my network, and reserved that address on my R7000 against the Switch's MAC address.

Odd thing is that I can connect to 192.168.1.250 and manage the switch via the web browser, but the switch doesn't show up anywhere in my attached devices section on my Netgear router? Shouldn't it show up on that page? I'll hopefully remember the IP address I used months from now when I need to log in for whatever reason, but would have thought it would show up as an attached device.

Thx

Odd thing is that I can connect to 192.168.1.250 and manage the switch via the web browser, but the switch doesn't show up anywhere in my attached devices section on my Netgear router? Shouldn't it show up on that page? I'll hopefully remember the IP address I used months from now when I need to log in for whatever reason, but would have thought it would show up as an attached device.

Kind of a quirk with these lightly managed Layer 2 switches...

Anyways - I would bookmark this link - could be helpful in the future...

https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-2219.html

This is most likely occurring because even with a static reservation created for the TP-Link on the Netgear, you're self-assigning a static IP on the TP-Link and so there is no actual DHCP assignment being done, thus no ARP table entry for the TP-Link is being created, which means there won't be an entry for the switch in the "devices" list.

To correct this, log back into the TP-Link and switch its IP setting from Static IP to DHCP, with the DHCP server IP set to that of the Netgear (I would presume 192.168.1.1). On the Netgear, retain the static IP reservation for the TP-Link's MAC ID, then allow the DHCP assignment to occur, then confirm that it has by browsing to 192.168.1.250 and loading the login page to the TP-Link. At this point, reload the devices list on the Netgear and I bet you the switch will show up.

EDIT: Also, make sure the DHCP server on the TP-Link is disabled, to avoid multiple DHCP servers running on the same subnet and IP range.

Last edited:
Thanks, will check that when I get home. Left it on whatever the default was.

Thanks, that worked (enabling DHCP setting). There was no option that I could find to enable/disable the DHCP server though.

Excellent; you're welcome. And yes, I should have checked: that TP-Link doesn't offer a DHCP server, so no monkeying with that necessary. All should be setup properly now.

Excellent; you're welcome. And yes, I should have checked: that TP-Link doesn't offer a DHCP server, so no monkeying with that necessary. All should be setup properly now.

Strange. So had to reboot the switch today. I set a static IP address for it ages ago in my router, probably when I posted this thread originally.

But this time I can't actually log in to the switch via that IP address. So now the issue is it doesn't show up as an attached device, and I have no idea what the IP address it's connecting to is. I know it's working, as I have my security cameras on it and they are powered on and working (via POE).

How do I go about locating the IP address of a switch that isn't showing up on the router's attached device listing? Have tried resetting the device, clearing cache, etc.

The flowchart refers to enabling HTTP via command line interface if it's been disabled, but 1) I haven't disabled it unless the router did it by itself and 2) no clue how to access CLI?

You could try scanning your LAN with this: https://angryip.org/

Otherwise disconnect the switch from the router and reboot it. According to the manual it should default its address to 192.168.0.1. Now configure a connected PC with a static address of 192.168.0.x and try to log into it.

Sorry, missed your post. I have rebooted it, but can't seem to get to it. Might be because my main router is 192.168.1.1 (and maybe that is why it doesn't show up on the router as an attached device?).

Sorry, missed your post. I have rebooted it, but can't seem to get to it. Might be because my main router is 192.168.1.1 (and maybe that is why it doesn't show up on the router as an attached device?).
As I said, " Otherwise disconnect the switch from the router and reboot it. ... Now configure a connected PC with a static address of 192.168.0.x and try to log into it.".

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!