What's new

TP-Link WR841n

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robint

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys whats your take on my cheap charlie philosophy

I have a largish property (guest house) and want to scatter APs around conveniently. It seems I can source bog standard WR841 routers (must be millions in the field) for about a fiver on EB so I can link their WIFI's together and collect at my main router an Asus AC86U. I am not doing any gaming only internet with some movie streaming on PCs . I dont want to string ethernet cables all over the place but may try put some 2MP security cams (connected to local routers by ethernet and using RTSP). No kids to mess things up

I would keep my personal PC separate from this LAN for security - ethernet direct into the modem router virgin HUB3

Is there anything faulty in my approach?

IMHO its like comparing a Ford Anglia with a Ferrari, they both get you there but the Ford is slower

there must be lots of guest house/small hotel applications out there

How are you going to link their Wi-Fi's together and collect at your main router?

TL-WR841N and ND are routers manufactured between 2008-2015 with multiple hardware revisions and firmware versions. Which one? Not all have repeater mode option (or with TP-Link terminology "range extender") in firmware.

@robint, if you have line of sight to desired coverage area, directional AP's are perhaps the better option.

TL-WR841N and ND are routers manufactured between 2008-2015 with multiple hardware revisions and firmware versions. Which one? Not all have repeater mode option (or with TP-Link terminology "range extender") in firmware.

OpenWRT or DD-WRT would solve that and would be far better than the native, unsupported firmware anyhow. Although, I guess they don't even have enough RAM and Flash for the latest builds of either OS.
Still, I wouldn't use those routers today anyhow, as the range is going to be poor even compared to most modern budget routers.

OK guys thnx 10^6 for the heads up, tpl for the recycle bin ok.

What do you recommend as an alternative cheapo. I particularly what something suitable to operate RTSP IP security cameras. Big problem is reliably setting up static IP/and mac addresses that cant be over ridden by the DHCP. I only need type N speed.

Flashing my existing badged EA6900 is red flagged too risky

so pls advise alternative.