What's new

Traffic Monitor bug with merlin firmware 380.58 ASUS RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flashdictionary

New Around Here
Traffic monitor bug with the WAN traffic with merlin firmware 380.58 ASUS RT-AC66U.

Take a look at the two pictures I have attached. The first picture is accurate in the the total download is 10.28 MB and the total upload is 572.36 KB.

Now within just a few seconds, the upload total increases to 4,097.41 MB. It is not possible to upload 4 GB of data on a WAN interface that is limited to 3 Mbits without spooky action at a distance.

Is this a known bug? Is there a fix underway for this?
Asus Traffic Monitor Bug 1.PNG
Asus Traffic Monitor Bug 2.PNG

I've seen that numerous times with my RT-AC68U and various ASUS and Merlin firmware versions. It's an odd bug just with the Real-time tab. The 24-hour and daily tabs don't actually record these massive spikes and data transfers.

Right now with 380.58 and my RT-AC68U, with CTF Acceleration enabled, I am not seeing this stuff.

Not sure if this bit is something only ASUS can fix or if Merlin has access to the code.

NAT acceleration must be disabled for the traffic monitor to be accurate. It's mentioned on the traffic monitor page.

NAT acceleration must be disabled for the traffic monitor to be accurate. It's mentioned on the traffic monitor page.
Hi, I am a new user and also see the high spike issue occasionally as well. Using firmware 380.65 and AC-1900. NAT Acceleration is disabled. The random spike issue also wipes out useful graphing of traffic data speeds due to the scaling issue also reported here.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/traffic-analyzer-graph-scaling.36237/

Still getting up to speed and browsing the archives. Just wish I hadn't waited so long to get this router and enhanced firmware. It's meeting all of my expectations and then some.

> Gerald

I haven't noticed it for sometime. Doesn't happen right now with 380.65 on my RT-AC68U but I do have NAT acceleration disabled and am using Firefox 51.0.1 in case the browser has any impact on it.

I haven't noticed it for sometime. Doesn't happen right now with 380.65 on my RT-AC68U but I do have NAT acceleration disabled and am using Firefox 51.0.1 in case the browser has any impact on it.

Thanks for the feedback. I use Chrome.

Now you are making me rethink as to when I actually last saw this. So much new to keep track of. It is possible that the last time I saw this was before NAT acceleration was turned off. Will keep watching for it.

> Gerald

I have had two instances in the past month where the daily upstream traffic is recorded as 3 t0 4 GB. My upstream speed is only 800Kbps and normal daily upstream traffic is about 350MB. This seems to be a bug, and I've not been able to correlate it to any specific activity. This is an RT-AC56U, and this has happened with both pre-release and final versions of 380.65. NAT acceleration is off.

Attaching my experience with these 4gb upload "spikes." This is reflected in my daily and monthly upload totals, and also in the attached 24 hour screen grab, but it doesn't show up in the per-IP monitoring. I'm on the latest version of merlin (384.5) and was told here:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-problem-with-traffic-monitor.33087/#post-416025

that the latest Asus firmware and Merlin alpha didn't have the same bug, so I'll wait it out.

Attachments

• spike.PNG
    spike.PNG
    89.3 KB · Views: 664
Same here. This is really spiking one of my processors to 100%. When watching IPTV on BT TV Sport 4K which is ALWAYS counted as a upload. it’s really data intensive and so spikes the processor.

Same here. This is really spiking one of my processors to 100%. When watching IPTV on BT TV Sport 4K which is ALWAYS counted as a upload. it’s really data intensive and so spikes the processor.
Your problem is different from what was being discussed here. The 4GB spike in the Traffic Monitor is just a cosmetic artefact. The spike isn't real and doesn't effect the CPU.