What's new

Traffic monitor not useable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oldwood

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I am new to Asuswrt Merlin and need to track my data use as my ISP has implemented a cap. I have set up the traffic monitor, but the numbers make no sense at all. I have attached a screenshot.

I am not using the traffic statistics and just need an accurate total running tally. On my old router a Linksys WRT 1900 AC I ran DD-WRT and it had a page that listed the use by the month with current month listed with use to date.

Is there a setting I may be missing or is this a bug? I have read a bit about problems with traffic monitor.

TIA
Gerry

Attachments

• traffic monitor.png
    traffic monitor.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 246
  • Traffic monitor settings.png
    Traffic monitor settings.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 268
What model are you using?

Also, see this thread, look toward the end. Asus has provided a kernel fix for HND models that Merlin has built into a test beta for release in main stream eventually;

What model are you using?

Also, see this thread, look toward the end. Asus has provided a kernel fix for HND models that Merlin has built into a test beta for release in main stream eventually;

I am using a Rt-AC3100. What is a HND model?

Thanks,
Gerry

If you're open to installing add on scripts, this one exists, DN-VNSTAT

That's from the add on section of the forum, and it's now part of AMTM, so very easy to install. I think that might give you the usage you're looking for, along with alerts as you approach your threshold should you want that sort of thing.

If you're open to installing add on scripts, this one exists, DN-VNSTAT

That's from the add on section of the forum, and it's now part of AMTM, so very easy to install. I think that might give you the usage you're looking for, along with alerts as you approach your threshold should you want that sort of thing.
I'll look in to that. I am brand new with this Router and firmware, so it may take a bit of time.

Thanks,
Gerry

Routers AC86U and newer are HND platform routers. Not sure about yours.

VNSTAT will also suffer from the traffic spikes as the issue is in the kernel.

Routers AC86U and newer are HND platform routers. Not sure about yours.

What does HND stand for? I have looked for the abbreviation but found nothing?

Thanks for the heads-up on VNSTAT.

Gerry

To date we've only had one, unconfirmed report of a spike that could not be traced to some other activity. Not saying it won't happen, but with a few thousand installs and a lot of testing, we haven't witnessed it yet (given the number of reports from Traffic Monitoring, I'd expect to see at least a few reports from vnStat-on-Merlin if it were as similarly impacted). Hopefully I didn't just jinx V-o-M.

Hi, I am new to Asuswrt Merlin and need to track my data use as my ISP has implemented a cap. I have set up the traffic monitor, but the numbers make no sense at all. I have attached a screenshot.
Take a look at vnStat-on-Merlin (dn-vnstat mentioned above). We've implemented data-limit monitoring just for the situation you're describing (I moved to Comcast late last year, as Comcast threatened data-limits US-wide. They subsequently delayed our area until 2022, but Jack Yaz and I still built this tool to provide that data. And we even email you when you get close to your limit!)

(PS don't tell anyone but the Release is coming very, very soon. I'm working on the announcement and the changelog right now!)

What does HND stand for? I have looked for the abbreviation but found nothing?
It's the name of the platform of the newer Broadcom-based routers. It stands for Home Networking Device.

To date we've only had one, unconfirmed report of a spike that could not be traced to some other activity. Not saying it won't happen, but with a few thousand installs and a lot of testing, we haven't witnessed it yet (given the number of reports from Traffic Monitoring, I'd expect to see at least a few reports from vnStat-on-Merlin if it were as similarly impacted). Hopefully I didn't just jinx V-o-M.

Take a look at vnStat-on-Merlin (dn-vnstat mentioned above). We've implemented data-limit monitoring just for the situation you're describing (I moved to Comcast late last year, as Comcast threatened data-limits US-wide. They subsequently delayed our area until 2022, but Jack Yaz and I still built this tool to provide that data. And we even email you when you get close to your limit!)

(PS don't tell anyone but the Release is coming very, very soon. I'm working on the announcement and the changelog right now!)
Hi, that is good to hear. I think I will give it a go. Can you direct me to instructions for scripting on the router? I have a USB 2.0 thumb drive I am using for the monitoring data, but I have a USB 3 thumb drive I could use for scripts.

In the admin page there is a setting for USB mode. Does this just affect the rear or both USB ports?

You say "And we even email you when you get close to your limit!" Does my data get sent offsite to allow this?

Thanks,
Gerry

It's the name of the platform of the newer Broadcom-based routers. It stands for Home Networking Device.
It seems to be an impossible thing to confirm on the router interface? The "newer Broadcom-based routers" is also a term that I can not confirm on my router.

The RT-AC3100 is Broadcom based and is still sold in some locations, but I don't see anything indicating it is HND. I suspect it is not as you did not post a kernel patch for it?

Thanks for taking the time to respond,
Gerry

Hi, that is good to hear. I think I will give it a go. Can you direct me to instructions for scripting on the router? I have a USB 2.0 thumb drive I am using for the monitoring data, but I have a USB 3 thumb drive I could use for scripts.

In the admin page there is a setting for USB mode. Does this just affect the rear or both USB ports?

You say "And we even email you when you get close to your limit!" Does my data get sent offsite to allow this?

Thanks,
Gerry
You should familiarize yourself with add-ons and how Merlin and scripting works. That's too long to do here. Many are available through the CLI (SSH) via amtm. You should probably start with those, since they are nearly 100% unbreakable.

Email setup on the router goes only through your provider to whatever addresses YOU SPECIFY. You set these up in Diversion (again via amtm) and we use the stored and encrypted credentials from Diversion.

You don't indicate who your provider is, but if you're in the US it's probably Comcast. The data limit starts on the 1st in that case, so you have a few days to sort out add-ons and vnStat-on-Merlin and still collect April data.

You should familiarize yourself with add-ons and how Merlin and scripting works. That's too long to do here. Many are available through the CLI (SSH) via amtm. You should probably start with those, since they are nearly 100% unbreakable.

Email setup on the router goes only through your provider to whatever addresses YOU SPECIFY. You set these up in Diversion (again via amtm) and we use the stored and encrypted credentials from Diversion.

You don't indicate who your provider is, but if you're in the US it's probably Comcast. The data limit starts on the 1st in that case, so you have a few days to sort out add-ons and vnStat-on-Merlin and still collect April data.
"You should familiarize yourself with add-ons and how Merlin and scripting works." Is there documentation on this subject I can review?

"Email setup on the router goes only through your provider to whatever addresses YOU SPECIFY. You set these up in Diversion (again via amtm) and we use the stored and encrypted credentials from Diversion." So data is stored on the router and emailed to the address I choose. Diversion does not get a copy of the data then?

My OS is Linux, so I have a little experience in a terminal. Still a nube though ;)

I am in Canada and my data caps kick in next month, so I have some time yet.

Thanks,
Gerry

"You should familiarize yourself with add-ons and how Merlin and scripting works." Is there documentation on this subject I can review?

"Email setup on the router goes only through your provider to whatever addresses YOU SPECIFY. You set these up in Diversion (again via amtm) and we use the stored and encrypted credentials from Diversion." So data is stored on the router and emailed to the address I choose. Diversion does not get a copy of the data then?

My OS is Linux, so I have a little experience in a terminal. Still a nube though ;)

I am in Canada and my data caps kick in next month, so I have some time yet.

Thanks,
Gerry
I was just looking for @L&LD 's list. Check his profile for links: https://www.snbforums.com/members/l-ld.24423/#about

So data is stored on the router and emailed to the address I choose. Diversion does not get a copy of the data then?
No. No copies of email go anywhere but through your provider to the address you target. No program/app/add-on gets a copy of anything.

Diversion is an ad-blocking app which many find indispensable (raises hand) but in our case we leverage only the credentials, which are stored encrypted for security purposes.

SSH is easy via amtm. Mostly menu-driven.

This is good to know.

It seems to be an impossible thing to confirm on the router interface? The "newer Broadcom-based routers" is also a term that I can not confirm on my router.
Easiest way to tell is by looking at my website: https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about . Models are now classified by whether they are HND or not.