What's new

Traffic monitor on Network Map, and Traffic Analyzer on access points

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

samus250

New Around Here
Hi all,

First of all, I want to show my appreciation for the new traffic monitor on the Network Map. It allowed me to quickly see that the connection issue we experienced today at home was due to a saturated line because of a client that was uploading at full speed (we are on an asymmetric cable connection). I enabled IPTraffic and determined that it was my roommate's machine. The OS's activity monitor showed no unusual up traffic, so there was no immediate easy way for us to figure that out on the affected machine. Turns out it's a corp backup tool that is not nice at all. Disabled it, and we're all happy now. (This was on an RT-AC3100 running .16 in case you're wondering, took the time to upgrade to .17 with no issues)

On that note, I also find it very useful for my set of AC68U/P access points. But this generates a question that I have for you: how come there's no Traffic Analyzer tool on Asuswrt-Merlin when it is running in AP mode? I decided to just go to the /Main_TrafficMonitor_realtime.asp URL on the access point, and it turns out that it works! But the other options (24 hours, daily, monthly, and IPTraffic) don't seem to work at all.

Not asking for a feature request nor anything, I'm just curious if there's a technical / networking limitation about running in access point mode that conflicts with Traffic Analyzer. I assumed that the new traffic monitor on the Network Map wouldn't have been able to work on access points either, but was pleasantly surprised that it did.

Thanks!!!

Edit: Just realized I posted this in the wrong section, and don't know if it's possible to move it. If any mod can move it, feel free.

Last edited:
On that note, I also find it very useful for my set of AC68U/P access points. But this generates a question that I have for you: how come there's no Traffic Analyzer tool on Asuswrt-Merlin when it is running in AP mode?

Because Traffic Analyzer is an engine that sits on the WAN interface. Since there's no WAN interface in AP mode, it cannot monitor anything.