What's new

Traffic Monitoring Log

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rando

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I'm having an issue trying to setup traffic logging on my RT-N66U using Merlin's Latest version 380.64_2.

Here is a screenshot of how I have it setup.
upload_2017-1-21_14-23-47.png

Here's the error I get...

Jan 21 14:17:03 rstats[264]: Problem loading /mnt/Media/Logs/tomato_rstats_3085a96cb630.gz. Still trying...

I can verify that I'm able to write to this location from my pc without error.

Here is how I have my share setup on the router with R/W access to Admin. I can mount to the Logs folder in windows using \\<routername>\logs and I can create folders and text files...
upload_2017-1-21_14-26-37.png

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Rando

You need to set "Create or reset data files" to Yes and Apply for it do the initial file creation.

You need to set "Create or reset data files" to Yes and Apply for it do the initial file creation.

Thanks..tried that....clicked the button hit apply...after refreshing it goes back to "No"..

Still getting error.

Jan 22 09:02:57 rstats[264]: Problem loading /mnt/Media/Logs/tomato_rstats_3085a96cb630.gz. Still trying...

Thanks..tried that....clicked the button hit apply...after refreshing it goes back to "No"..
That's normal.

Still getting error.

Jan 22 09:02:57 rstats[264]: Problem loading /mnt/Media/Logs/tomato_rstats_3085a96cb630.gz. Still trying...
That's usually because the file doesn't exist. When you hit Apply above, was there any indication in the syslog as to why it couldn't create the file?

I've had that same issue with my N66R. My solution was to go back to 380.57, set up the traffic log to the USB then upgrade to the latest Merlin.

Edit: just fired up the old N66R, reset to defaults, minimal configuration, inserted clean flash drive, tried to set up traffic data file on custom location... failed again... Tried several times to set/create data file. Failed. IP monitoring did create its data file and did work so it is not a write permission to the drive.

Last edited:
That's normal.

That's usually because the file doesn't exist. When you hit Apply above, was there any indication in the syslog as to why it couldn't create the file?

there's no indication why it didn't write the log file when viewing the syslog...also when viewing the traffic monitor..i only get real time data....daily, monthly, last 24 hours show no activity.

Insert USB then reboot router. Now try to create the data file on the USB.

i've unplugged the external usb enclosure, replugged in, rebooted still gives the same error /mnt/Media/Logs/tomato_rstats_3085a96cb630.gz. Still trying...

Not sure this will help but I had the same issue - it had been working but this error occurred after a reboot. I ended up overwriting the file from a prior backup (I've learned to backup these files through cron and on a reboot) and it immediately began working again. Problem has not reoccurred.

Not sure this will help but I had the same issue - it had been working but this error occurred after a reboot. I ended up overwriting the file from a prior backup (I've learned to backup these files through cron and on a reboot) and it immediately began working again. Problem has not reoccurred.

I'm just trying to get it to work for the first time so I have no backup to overwrite with...will the file recreate if I try to delete it?

I'm just trying to get it to work for the first time so I have no backup to overwrite with...will the file recreate if I try to delete it?
Check the file size. If not empty make a copy of it and then delete it. If this doesn't resolve the issue then request that it be recreated through the GUI.
It's also possible a reboot will resolve your issue.

I just upgraded to the newest firmware 380.65 and still getting this error.
Mar 10 08:57:15 rstats[265]: Problem loading /mnt/Media/Logs/tomato_rstats_3085a96cb630.gz. Still trying...