What's new

Trend Micro features privacy concern.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Adreno

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I bought last week a new RT-AX88U, my first Asus router.

I would like to use some features like Clients and Apps traffic statistic, but I have some privacy concerns with the Privacy notice for our Website, Products and Services, from Trend Micro, e.g.:

The following types of information and personal information are processed when using and interacting with our Products and Services, including Customer support...
  • Personal information contained within email content or files to which Trend Micro is provided access.
Are you using in your router the features provided by Trend Micro?

Yes, and so is almost every customer I set up a router for too.

This may change in the (near?) future if Suricata is implemented in amtm on RMerlin firmware.

But for now, this isn't a concern for me and many others here.

HTH. :)

Hello,

I would like to use some features like Clients and Apps traffic statistic, but I have some privacy concerns with the Privacy notice for our Website, Products and Services, from Trend Micro, e.g.:

The following types of information and personal information are processed when using and interacting with our Products and Services, including Customer support...
  • Personal information contained within email content or files to which Trend Micro is provided access.

I use AiProtection. I don't believe I provide TM access to any e-mail or file content.

OE

This EULA is a very generic one, and does not cover specifically AiProtection, but a large array of Trend Micro services. For instance, the Email sharing portion only affects people using their Business Security Suite that includes spam filtering.

The following URL will be much more explicit specifically for AiProtection services: https://helpcenter.trendmicro.com/en-us/article/TMKA-20275

Hello,

Its one of my layers of network security. Its free unlink most other devices I've looked at (netgear/orbi. tplink, eero). Not sure if I'd pay for it if there was a cost, but its triggered on a few sites over the years.

If the the Micro Trend tools included in the firmware are free for the user, is the user being the product?
Only indirectly. Asus pays TM to leverage their services, who then uses it as a marketing ploy to sell more product.

If the the Micro Trend tools included in the firmware are free for the user, is the user being the product?

I don’t view this as any different than what Apple, Microsoft, google, amazon, social media, public email, isp’s etc are doing. At least I get some security benefit out of trend.