What's new

Trendnet TEW-633GR Router question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tcool93

Occasional Visitor
I don't suppose anyone here knows for sure how much ram the Trendnet TEW-633GR router has in it?

The xbitlabs website did a review on it, and said the chip inside it was a 32mb chip, compared to the dlinks 16mb.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/networking/display/trendnet-tew633gr_4.html

However when I did a google search on the chip number "P2S56D40CTP", I found some foreign review I think it claims its 64mb. I also find a review for the SMC router with the same chip number, and they claim its 64mb in that router.

I asked Trendnet, but he didn't sound sure himself, and said his papers say its 16mb. I asked the chip maker, and he didn't even give me an answer, and said it shouldn't matter (you would think they would know)

Maybe it doesn't matter, I don't know, but I was curious.

The first Google search for "P2S56D40CTP" (the chipmaker's product doc) lists the chip as a 256Mb piece. 256 Mb/8 = 32 MB. The amount of memory would be dependent upon the number of chips used.

It is also entirely possible that TRENDnet only made half of the memory addressable. Who knows? (apparently not the rep you talked to)

I have it recorded in the Router Charts as 16 MB, same as the DIR-655.

Both products maxed out the Maximum Simultaneous Connections test at 200 connections.

Trendnet told me today he would forward my question to his engineering dept.

I thought I read in both reviews that the Trendnet router handled more "multiple connections simultaneously" than the Dlink. Thats why I was thinking it had something to do with extra ram. But then again I very easily can be wrong.

The one thing different about the two routers, is the Trendnet uses a different memory chip than the Dlink uses, and the flash memory chip is different also. The antennas on the Trendnet appear larger (4dbi), but not removable.

There is an SMC model that looks exactly like the Trendnet router. It just has an extra USB connector.
--------------

EDIT: I doubt I'll ever get any reply back from Trendnet. I find it pathetic they don't even seem to know themselves. Seems every router manufacturer has poor support anymore. I'm sure a lot of these routers are made by one foreign company and resold under other brand names. I do know for a fact that Ubicom is the one that writes the firmware for any of the routers that have Ubicom chipsets... they told me so.

Last edited:
I have it recorded in the Router Charts as 16 MB, same as the DIR-655.

Both products maxed out the Maximum Simultaneous Connections test at 200 connections.

I guess I didn't read too well hehe. Thanks for pointing that out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!