1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

TRENDnet TPL-430APK WiFi Everywhere Powerline 1200 AV2 Wireless Kit Reviewed

Discussion in 'Wireless Article Discussions' started by thiggins, Nov 6, 2017.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

[​IMG]
    TRENDnet's TPL-430APK WiFi Everywhere Powerline 1200 AV2 Wireless Kit is an inexpensive way to light up a Wi-Fi dead spot with surprisingly good throughput.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

Hydro likes this.
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. andykn

andykn Occasional Visitor

So I bought this and a pair of TPL-421E adapters and have just set them up to replace the excellent Billion 500 series adapters I’ve been using. My main aim in writing this is so you can avoid the pitfalls I fell into; the devices, while purporting to be from a US firm, have manuals that appear to be written originally in Chinese, I found them quite confusing, the TPL-421E manual made more sense.

When they say “seconds”, I found that “count” was better. So to set a new random sync key, hold down the sync button for a count of 15 until the lights go out, it takes about 7 seconds. If you keep it held down too long it doesn’t seem to work. Similarly, a count of 2, but less than two seconds is about the right time to hold down the sync button to start the sync sequence and the join on the next adapter.

One last gotcha, the wireless access point management page IP address is only 192.168.10.1 until you connect it to your router via Ethernet/Powerline. It then picks up a DHCP address from the router that you’ll need to find and use for management of the access point. You can’t fix this in the access point, if you want to keep it unchanged you’ll need to reserve it in the DHCP management of the router or whatever you use for DHCP.

My initial first impressions are that the Powerline speeds aren’t noticeably more than the old Billion 500M units they replaced. This is on U.K. mains, all 3 wire, and about 10 years old.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!