What's new

Trendnet TWG-BRF114 Gigabit Firewall Router - Any experiences?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

olivers

New Around Here
I'm looking for a wired router with decent firewall capabilities, basic QoS and WAN-to-LAN throughput to handle Adsl2+ speeds.

In Europe, D-Link sells the recently released DIR-100 for an affordable 35 Euros. It meets my requirements but unfortunately D-Link isn't offering this device in North America. Its closet cousin seems to be the DIR-130 but it's older, doesn't match the DIR-100's WAN-to-LAN throughput (reportedly 80+ MB/sec) and doesn't offer simple QoS (i.e. UDP prioritization for games and VOIP)

Continuing my quest to find a wired router that meets my needs and costs around $100, I stumbled across the Trendnet TWG-BRF114 Gigabit Firewall Router:

http://trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=180_TWG-BRF114&cat=41

On paper it fits what I'm looking for. Its street price is roughly $100. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any reviews or even comments about it. The manual on Trendnet's web site seems to be poorly copied from another model (probably a TW100 device) and doesn't reveal much.

Does anybody know more about this device? Any feedback would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Oliver

I don't have too many positive things to say about Trendnet products. Read through some of my Trendnet reviews and you'll see why.

Why not consider wireless routers too? That's where most manufacturers are putting their efforts. Just shut off the wireless.

Check the summary table from our Cheap Draft 802.11n Router Roundup.

Tim,

That's a great suggestion! Looking at the helpful summary table, the DIR-825 would fit my requirements and I can always turn off wireless if I don't need it.

Thanks,

Oliver

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!