What's new

Trouble accessing printer though AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

One other thing :rolleyes: ... Have you tried accessing the printer from a client attached to the main router rather than a client also connected to the repeater?

I can't ping the address of either printer - get destination unreachable. ...
Thank you for the detailed information.
Let me list some points that we know, correct me if I am wrong:
  1. With the RT-AC88u repeater router powered off, the printer works properly and the printer is pingable. You may have to temporarily relocate a printer to prove this.
  2. Power on the RT-AC88u repeater router with a printer close to the primary RT-AC88u such that it will not connect to repeater router and devices attached to the primary router can print but devices connected to the repeater router cannot print or ping the printer.
  3. Move a printer close to the RT-AC88u repeater router such that the printer connects to it and no device can print to the printer no matter which router they are connected to and ping doesn't work. However, one device can ping all the other devices on your network regardless of which router they are attached to and each device can reach the internet.
If all three points are correct then the RT-AC88u repeater router has some sort of freak issue and I would suggest that you factory reset the RT-AC88u repeater router and reconfigure from scratch, don't reload a previously saved configuration file. If it still doesn't work it could be a firmware bug.

I'm out of ideas. Sounds like some really esoteric wireless bug/incompatibility in the firmware. If I were you, as this is just a repeater, I think I'd try installing a firmware from the older 380 branch and see if that works.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC88U/FW_RT_AC88U_30043807743.ZIP

P.S. I'm assuming you're not using channels 12 or 13?
Appreciate it - I'll try an older firmware... The router is set to auto for channel - usually runs on channel 1, but does shift occasionally.

One other thing :rolleyes: ... Have you tried accessing the printer from a client attached to the main router rather than a client also connected to the repeater?
Yeah, same problem. Seems like the repeater is a dead-end once the printers connect to it...

Thank you for the detailed information.
Let me list some points that we know, correct me if I am wrong:
  1. With the RT-AC88u repeater router powered off, the printer works properly and the printer is pingable. You may have to temporarily relocate a printer to prove this.
  2. Power on the RT-AC88u repeater router with a printer close to the primary RT-AC88u such that it will not connect to repeater router and devices attached to the primary router can print but devices connected to the repeater router cannot print or ping the printer.
  3. Move a printer close to the RT-AC88u repeater router such that the printer connects to it and no device can print to the printer no matter which router they are connected to and ping doesn't work. However, one device can ping all the other devices on your network regardless of which router they are attached to and each device can reach the internet.
If all three points are correct then the RT-AC88u repeater router has some sort of freak issue and I would suggest that you factory reset the RT-AC88u repeater router and reconfigure from scratch, don't reload a previously saved configuration file. If it still doesn't work it could be a firmware bug.
Sounds reasonable - I'll try it and report back...

Sounds reasonable - I'll try it and report back...

@lobosdoc.....I have the same esoteric issue with my Brother!!!

I have tried everything you mentioned and more. Brother support is useless, though the printer is still in warranty. I have a setup very similar to yours I think. My guess on what's going on:
(I moved house in between, so not sure either on some variables, like changing printer and router locations at the new house.)

Suspects:
  • FW update to the printer. I did not notice issues at my old house, but maybe they were already there.
  • FW update to AC68, 56, and R7000. 384.6 and 384.7. Perhaps some incompatibility on the new versions vs. 380

ONLY solution workaround that is working for me right now:
I have an 'eternal' ping from one of the routers to the printer on an init script. Try it. Even if you see no response from the printer, at some point it starts responding and then it is permanently reachable from everywhere.

So far, problem solved, but....not sure about the root cause of the problem and do not like not to be certain that the issue could not recur or go worse.
I have moved since end of July, so have only noticed the problem recently. I was pushing Brother's useless customer support....but stopped because I am not sure this is a printer issue or just a combination with the Merlin 384.X at the moment. Is your printer new?

I would also love to hear of any other ideas or alternatives, and hope the ping workaround does it for you. Let me know.

@lobosdoc.....I have the same esoteric issue with my Brother!!!

I have tried everything you mentioned and more. Brother support is useless, though the printer is still in warranty. I have a setup very similar to yours I think. My guess on what's going on:
(I moved house in between, so not sure either on some variables, like changing printer and router locations at the new house.)

Suspects:
  • FW update to the printer. I did not notice issues at my old house, but maybe they were already there.
  • FW update to AC68, 56, and R7000. 384.6 and 384.7. Perhaps some incompatibility on the new versions vs. 380

ONLY solution workaround that is working for me right now:
I have an 'eternal' ping from one of the routers to the printer on an init script. Try it. Even if you see no response from the printer, at some point it starts responding and then it is permanently reachable from everywhere.

So far, problem solved, but....not sure about the root cause of the problem and do not like not to be certain that the issue could not recur or go worse.
I have moved since end of July, so have only noticed the problem recently. I was pushing Brother's useless customer support....but stopped because I am not sure this is a printer issue or just a combination with the Merlin 384.X at the moment. Is your printer new?

I would also love to hear of any other ideas or alternatives, and hope the ping workaround does it for you. Let me know.
  • So you're using a Brother HL-3170CDW as well?
  • You have 3 routers with the same SSID?
  • Presumably you're using the same 192 network, correct?

DCP-9022CDW
Yes
Yes
A firewall should only be enabled on the router that accesses the internet.

What are the modes for all the routers; bridge, access point...?

Just had a thought. If you are using the same SSID for three routers, I am wondering if the printer is continually attempting to choose the stronger signal and is consequently moving from one router to another.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!