What's new

Trouble configuring a Cisco RV042 Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LeNoodler

New Around Here
I'm hoping this is an easy fix, something I'm just overlooking. Anyway, I have a Cisco RV042 Dual WAN Router that I am trying to tie Comcast Cable and a T1 into for Load Balancing. I am not interested in using the DHCP Server, Firewall, or VPN that are built into this device as I already have an existing Firewall that provides all of this for me.

Where I am stuck is how to go about tying this Router into my Firewall to act like a single ISP. I've tested the Router with both ISPs plugged in, I was able to access the internet, but when I plugged the Router into my Firewall it was stone walled and stopped working. The biggest reason on why I insist using a separate Firewall is because I have invested in a Cisco ASA 5505 to replace my existing Firewall, but for now I just want this to work so I can work on the Port Forwarding to help correct the issues you typically get when accessing secure sites on a Load Balanced Router.

Any suggestions? I can provide more specific information if necessary.

Jordan

One more detail, I do have the working mode of the Router set to act as a Gateway.

I believe I have it figured out, it was an addressing issue. I have to set the router on one subnet and the firewall on another. Another step I was missing was the DNS address for the Static WAN Port on the firewall needs to be that of the Router, similar to a DNS Server on a DC.

This still allows me to leave most of the Firewalls configuration alone, like nothing is actually changing, so it can still provide DHCP. I'll report back with my findings. :)

Well, that resolved my issues of not having internet access, it was very quick and painless, even the port binding for HTTP (80) traffic was working. Quickly realized that there were still some big problems, things like e-mail, VPN, and websites hosted internally were all down to the outside world, even with the appropriate Ports, internal, and external IP addresses being binded.

If I can get that figured out, I should be 100% functional going forward. Does anyone have any suggestions for this issue? More information can be provided if necessary.

**BUMP**

Anyone? Still haven't been able to resolve the traffic issue. Thought it might have been Double NAT but I disabled Multiple Subnets on the Rv042 with no avail. Also tried doing some Port Mappings on the Firewall with no luck. Starting to believe I cannot use this thing in Load Balancing Mode, which I'm OK with.

Does this sound like the Firewall needs a Policy for WAN>LAN and WAN>DMZ to allow all traffic from the Rv042?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!