What's new

CakeQOS Trouble interpreting Cake QoS pre-requisites

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jdm21

New Around Here
Not recommended for connection up/down of 250Mbps or higher.

Does this mean that Cake is not recommended if both up and down are 250Mbps or higher? On average I get around 475Mbps DOWNLOAD but my UPLOAD only goes up to around 20Mbps.

So do I fall under recommended or not? When I do bufferbloat tests, it seems to be my UPLOAD causing the issues and I want to fix it but I don't know if I should enable the pre-installed Cake or get the FlexQoS add-on.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm somewhat new to this. :oops:

PS. I'm using an RT-AC86U if that matters for anything.

Welcome to the forums @jdm21.

Either up or down. There is simply not enough hardware to go higher in today's consumer routers (still).

Your speed will be severely limited. But if it fixes other aspects of your network experience, it may still be a worthwhile tradeoff.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @jdm21.

Either up or down. There is simply not enough hardware to go higher in today's consumer routers (still).

You're speed will be severely limited. But if it fixes other aspects of your network experience, it may still be a worthwhile tradeoff.

Thank you. So should I use Cake for the upload and just make it so that download is unaffected? Or get FlexQoS?

I am mainly a gamer and sometimes I stream on Twitch. That's about all I use the internet for (and browsing + watching stuff obviously).

Like I said, I get bad bufferbloat score and it's because of the upload (I'm not streaming or doing anything when running the test).

Last edited:
With just 20Mb upload I say try it. If it doesn't work for you disable it again.

You should be able to get about 300Mbps for download on your 475Mbps connection with your RT-AC86U. But definitely worth it on your download side for improved buffer bloat and latencies.

This Is The Way
& another thing, setting upload only, or automatic, has the same result.
My internet is slow enough that Cake is fine (100/40), but I have noticed slight ISP speed alterations (Congestion?) sometimes.
Automatic would cater to that & adjust accordingly I guess.

Hmmm.
More testing here has this result.
Cake handle upload only = Cake ‘automatic setting’ = QOS disabled.
Same results seen with any of the three configurations. Shrug……..

Can I run cake on asuswrt or is it merlin specific?
thanks

Asuswrt-Merlin on newer HND models.
Is there basics instructions for installing this on an AX86U for a noob like myself?
thanks

Cake QoS is built-in Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. You don't have to install anything extra.

It's HW acceleration incompatible limiting your WAN-LAN throughput to about 350Mbps on AX86U.
Understood. On ASUS wrt at the moment. ISP is 350/10 no loss there but good to know limitations.
Probably flash to Merlin on next version.