What's new

Trouble Shooting settings for dropped 5GHz on Pixel phone?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

username0475

Regular Contributor
Noticed YTD 2020- I have been having problems with my usually bulletproof Google Pixel 2XL cell phone dropping its 5GHz connection at home to my router.
All other devices hooked to the 86U on Merlin holds its connections solidly (iPads, iPhones, Alexas, Win laptops, Android tablet).

What trouble shooting can I do in Merlin's 384.19?

My current channel settings are:
5Ghz  Channels.JPG

It's a known issue for your phone and Android 10. Check the permissions for your security apps, like ESET. If location permissions were denied, it may cause issues. If only YOUR 5ghz network that it won't connect to, If it's still under warrenty, file a claim. Otherwise, try the method below:
  1. Open your phone’s Settings app.
  2. Tap Network & internet
    And then
    Wi-Fi.
  3. Make sure that Wi-Fi is on.
  4. Touch and hold a saved network.
  5. Tap Forget network.

If your Google Pixel 2XL issues still haven’t gone away at this point, there is still one step left before a factory reset back to default settings. Clearing the network settings lets you get rid of the Wi-Fi issues while keeping all of the data on your phone.

1. Display all apps from the Home screen by tapping the Up-Arrow icon.
  2. Go to Settings.
  3. Go to System About.
  4. Select Reset.
  5. Select Reset Wi-Fi, Mobile and Bluetooth.
  6. Select Reset Settings (may be asked for login information)
  7. Confirm Reset Settings.

It's a known issue for your phone and Android 10. Check the permissions for your security apps, like ESET. If location permissions were denied, it may cause issues. If only YOUR 5ghz network that it won't connect to, If it's still under warrenty, file a claim. Otherwise, try the method below:
  1. Open your phone’s Settings app.
  2. Tap Network & internet
    And then
    Wi-Fi.
  3. Make sure that Wi-Fi is on.
  4. Touch and hold a saved network.
  5. Tap Forget network.

If your Google Pixel 2XL issues still haven’t gone away at this point, there is still one step left before a factory reset back to default settings. Clearing the network settings lets you get rid of the Wi-Fi issues while keeping all of the data on your phone.

1. Display all apps from the Home screen by tapping the Up-Arrow icon.
  2. Go to Settings.
  3. Go to System About.
  4. Select Reset.
  5. Select Reset Wi-Fi, Mobile and Bluetooth.
  6. Select Reset Settings (may be asked for login information)
  7. Confirm Reset Settings.

Thanks for the first tip. That worked.
The P2XL is hanging to its 5GHz signal better & consistently now.
Stupid of me not to think about doing that to begin with.