What's new

Trouble with dnsmasq

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Travison

Occasional Visitor
Hey,

Lately I've been having some trouble with dnsmasq on my router AC68U running 384.14_2, it seems that random websites, like wikipedia or paypal for example, don't get resolved. The problem is only for a few minutes and then it start working again, as can be seen from this screenshot. No actions were taken between nslookups, it just started working again.

https://i.imgur.com/7263chk.png

The router itself uses 1.1.1.1 to resolve and seems to be working fine resolving addresses in ssh. It's also worth mentioning I have an additional hosts file for dns blocking, but the sites are not listed in there.

Any suggestions or tips on how to fix this?

Next time this happens try querying 1.1.1.1 directly instead of your router. That way it might show that it's not actually anything to do with dnsmasq.

So from Windows invoke just nslookup and then set DNS server with the "server" command
Code:
>nslookup
Default Server:  UnKnown
Address:  2601:18f:800:b426::1

> server 1.1.1.1
Default Server:  one.one.one.one
Address:  1.1.1.1

> time.cloudflare.com
Server:  one.one.one.one

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    time.cloudflare.com
Addresses:  2606:4700:f1::123
          2606:4700:f1::1

So from Windows invoke just nslookup and then set DNS server with the "server" command
Or you can do it directly from the command line which I find is quicker when trying to "catch" a transient problem before it disappears.
Code:
C:\>nslookup wikipedia.org 1.1.1.1
Server:  one.one.one.one

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    wikipedia.org
Addresses:  2620:0:862:ed1a::1

Unless there are errors appearing in the router's syslog or the problem occurs with some predictability it's going to be difficult to diagnose.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!