1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Trouble with dnsmasq

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Travison, Jan 17, 2020.

  1. Travison

    Travison Occasional Visitor

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2018
    Messages:
    21
    Hey,

    Lately I've been having some trouble with dnsmasq on my router AC68U running 384.14_2, it seems that random websites, like wikipedia or paypal for example, don't get resolved. The problem is only for a few minutes and then it start working again, as can be seen from this screenshot. No actions were taken between nslookups, it just started working again.

    https://i.imgur.com/7263chk.png

    The router itself uses 1.1.1.1 to resolve and seems to be working fine resolving addresses in ssh. It's also worth mentioning I have an additional hosts file for dns blocking, but the sites are not listed in there.

    Any suggestions or tips on how to fix this?
     
  2. ColinTaylor

    ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2014
    Messages:
    10,630
    Location:
    UK
    Next time this happens try querying 1.1.1.1 directly instead of your router. That way it might show that it's not actually anything to do with dnsmasq.
     
  3. EmeraldDeer

    EmeraldDeer Very Senior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2017
    Messages:
    593
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    So from Windows invoke just nslookup and then set DNS server with the "server" command
    Code:
    >nslookup
    Default Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  2601:18f:800:b426::1
    
    > server 1.1.1.1
    Default Server:  one.one.one.one
    Address:  1.1.1.1
    
    > time.cloudflare.com
    Server:  one.one.one.one
    Address:  1.1.1.1
    
    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    time.cloudflare.com
    Addresses:  2606:4700:f1::123
              2606:4700:f1::1
              162.159.200.1
              162.159.200.123
    
     
  4. ColinTaylor

    ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2014
    Messages:
    10,630
    Location:
    UK
    Or you can do it directly from the command line which I find is quicker when trying to "catch" a transient problem before it disappears.
    Code:
    C:\>nslookup wikipedia.org 1.1.1.1
    Server:  one.one.one.one
    Address:  1.1.1.1
    
    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    wikipedia.org
    Addresses:  2620:0:862:ed1a::1
              91.198.174.192
    
     
    dave14305 likes this.
  5. Travison

    Travison Occasional Visitor

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2018
    Messages:
    21
    I tried that, it resolved normally when I did "nslookup wikipedia.com 1.1.1.1"
     
  6. ColinTaylor

    ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2014
    Messages:
    10,630
    Location:
    UK
    Unless there are errors appearing in the router's syslog or the problem occurs with some predictability it's going to be difficult to diagnose.