What's new

Troublehooting help:Internet disconnects everyday for seconds to minutes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tomb18

New Around Here
I have been having an issue over several months where my internet connection will be lost a least once a day mostly late at night or early morning (11PM to 3AM). I have done a lot of troubleshooting and my ISp (Videotron) says that everything is OK on their end but I have not yet been able to contact them when the outage occurs.

Symptoms: All computers and phones lose the Internet connection at the same time. Computers that are wired directly to the router (not wireless) also go down. Rebooting the computer or wireless re-connection does nothing.

Network status: When the Internet is down, I am able to connect to the router wirelessly or via the wired connection.
WAN status: Looking at the cable modem shows LAN activity lights and the light that shows an internet connection is normal.

Troubleshooting steps: The only thing that works sometimes, is to reboot the modem itself. The outages vary in length between 30 seconds and 30 minutes so if you reboot the modem and any issues are resolved it starts up fine.
I have placed static IP's on some of the computers. I have used a combination of DNS servers.
I have tried two routers: The one provided by the ISP and an ASUS running DDWRT.
The only thing the ISP can do is come over and if they don't find a problem, they will charge me.

So, what kind of additional troubleshooting could I do here?
I realize I can ping the modem itself (Motorola) at 192.168.100.1 but haven't had a chance to do so.
Can anyone suggest additional steps please?
Thanks, Tom

The outage times and unable to reach provider makes me think it is their issues. But how to prove?

1) are they available during those house when all is well? What are their regular support hours? 2) any luck with Google search on videotron outage?

Any chance your modem or router logs have any info? During outage try to go directly to modem & ping google.com and a few popular local sites.

Hi,
Yes yesterday when it failed I called them up immediately but it was back up by the time they answered.
What I need to do is to be able to ping 192.168.100.1, the management ip for the modem. This will confirm that everything up to the modem is functioning. I then need to plug cable directly into the modem and see if I can get out.
I too believe it is their equipment but wouldn't they be able to tell by modem logs?

Well I now know what is happening but I do not know how to solve it. It's not a network issue itself but rather a client issue.
My ISP came over and did a complete checkup on the Wan. There were a few issues with the TV's and now all the signals coming on cable and very strong. The internet connection is solid as is the LAN. I bought a new router and now everything is great.
However, I still get disconnects from my Windows 10 clients. Eveynight at 11:53 PM, when the IP lease is renewed, the client drops off the internet. It recovers a little while later but it is clearly happening when the lease is renewed.
The lease is renewed every 24 hours. The router allows me to change this to 48 hours but that's it.
So the question is how is this happening. The client is not supposed to disconnect when a lease is renewed. It's as iff something is blocking a request something. Any suggestions? This does not happen to my Windows 7 machines, nor my android devices.
Thanks

Sounds like a windows 10 issue or somehow related to win10 and the router. I'd do some searches on the issue ("win10 dhcp lease drops network" would be my search) and go from there.