What's new

Troubleshoot help please: Wifi drops once a day

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

username0475

Regular Contributor
Am new to reviewing the log.
What can I post here to get some feedback on this issue:

Once a day, my WiFi - for now the 5Ghz band - loses connection during the most inoppotune time usually a work WebEx call.
It will then pop online again without really any drama except my WexEx participation is interuppted for a couple of minutes .

This started happening in the last 3 months.

My router is a RT-AC86U running Merlin 386.3.2.
I don't do any customization or scripting.

First question is - what System Log settings should I be selecting to start root-causing this issue.
My plan to make sure I notice the next time I have a drop to focus on the activities & time frame.

Attachments

• Log Settings.jpg
    Log Settings.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 68
The first step I always do is upgrade the firmware to the current firmware first.

Am new to reviewing the log.
What can I post here to get some feedback on this issue:

Once a day, my WiFi - for now the 5Ghz band - loses connection during the most inoppotune time usually a work WebEx call.
It will then pop online again without really any drama except my WexEx participation is interuppted for a couple of minutes .

This started happening in the last 3 months.

My router is a RT-AC86U running Merlin 386.3.2.
I don't do any customization or scripting.

First question is - what System Log settings should I be selecting to start root-causing this issue.
My plan to make sure I notice the next time I have a drop to focus on the activities & time frame.
I've gone through hell and back with the AC86U, and your choices as of now is:

1. If you want to run Merlin, including the latest version, apply these settings. That should fix the problems, at the expence of some performance.

or

2. Leave the default settings (should in theory give better performance) and upgrade to the latest official firmware, which was the first one worked for me in a long, long, long, long, long line of tested previous firmwares because of Asus not giving a damn about QC with respect to the AC86U.

Uncertain when these fixes will hit the GPL branch so Merlin can work without having to change the settings in option 1. and get the performance we paid for. Personally, I'd never buy the AC86U again, and the Asus brand as a whole is tarnished for me because of how bad the support has been on this premium priced "gaming" router.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!