What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

astroashton

New Around Here
Hey everyone,

I've been scouring Google and forums, but can't seem to get a decent (or at least a comfortable) answer to this question. Maybe I wasn't using the right keywords, etc, but please lend me your knowledge. The main unit I use is an Asus with Merlin If I want to create a virtual machine in a program such as VMware, is it possible to create one using exact specifications of certain routers I'd like to tweak or develop for? The reasoning is I would like to be able to experiment with the scripts and codes to see their effects without doing any damage to an actual hardware unit. Once I can determine their safety inside the VM, then I could deploy it to the actual unit. Is this possible? If so, what software do you guys use and what do you suggest? Thank you very much!

(Please don't mind, but I've cross-posted this is applicable forums)

ash

Doesn't seem possible to me.

Asus, NG, etc. would all be doing it and giving us error-free firmware already. :D

Doesn't seem possible to me.

Asus, NG, etc. would all be doing it and giving us error-free firmware already. :D

I kind of felt this way, too. But then I started noticing in VMSphere how INCREDIBLY specific you could make the machines. I'm not sure if those specifics would come down to proprietary hardware or software, but in all the routers I've dealt with, it seems the hardware is basically the same except how it conforms to the details of processors and memory, which aren't netgear/asus/cisco/etc. So I was hoping maybe someone knew either how, how to go around it, or exactly why not.