What's new

Troubleshooting guide for stability

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

leon

Regular Contributor
I read with envy that many of you do not need to reboot your router regularly. This is not my experience and wonder how can I troubleshoot the issue. is there a guide somewhere?

i have a RT-AC86U and on ver 386.4. Typically the router do not have any issue in the first day after reboot. Then the router present the webui for login but web page freeze after login. Again after anoth few days, I can’t even get the webhi login. Despite the webui issue, my family members are still able to access the internet. SSH is also working. I would then need to SSh to the rout and issue a reboot command.

I have Skynet, Diversion and YazFi. I do enable minidlna. AiProtection is off. Parental Controls - Web & Apps Filters is on. I am using adaptive QOS. I do not use any of the games related features.
AiCloud sync is enabled.

... and use it awhile. Then add one thing and use it awhile. And so on until the culprit is encountered.

OE

It wouldn't be a bad idea to perform a reset of the router, following @L&LD 's published guides/procedures. (assuming your config isn't significantly customised)
why? the AC86 has a bit of a reputation for heat issues causing premature failure and issues similar to what you're experiencing - maybe the router itself is at fault and simply disabling scripts etc will only prolong troubleshooting that possibility.
(It can't hurt to power down the router and blast out the dust from cooling passages either)
what I'm suggesting is a bit of "deep maintenance" to make sure the hardware is in good condition before looking at the coding side of things - it might not help, but it never hurts.

i have a RT-AC86U and on ver 386.4.

I stopped testing 386.4 on my AC86U due to router instability - mostly 5GHz Wi-Fi disconnections. It works fine with latest available Asuswrt though. You may have to revert to 386.3_2 for better results or wait for the next Asuswrt-Merlin release. I don't use any scripts when testing Asuswrt-Merlin releases. Don't waste your time with black magic guides and procedures. Follow official Asus reset instructions, if you want to reset your router.

Those 'black magic guides' are mostly cultivated from all the former contributors/members that built up this site long ago. Along with further additional detailed instructions to help the true noobs.

Official Asus instructions are great if that is all that is needed to fully/properly reset a specific router. But the forum is full of people that do not have success with those sparse documents.

When/If those instructions fail, and/or are not properly understood, the guides are there for those that need them. Self-proclaimed experts that don't even use the routers themselves need not worry about such matters.

I know. Cultivated from old practices on top of low networking knowledge and backed up by virtual customers stories.

The latest one is here. You don't miss a day. What "business" do you have with home routers and custom firmware again? ;)

No, not old practices. Best Practices.

Stop spreading FUD.

Stops spreading pseudo science Best Practices waste of time links. Thank you!

If they're a waste of time links to you, you don't need to constantly read them. Let the ones they were directed at get the benefits they offer.

You really are an authoritarian.

Try to be less so.

You have to live with it. When I'm around self-proclaimed expert Best Practices and non-tech 101 Guides containing M&M candies and Nuclear Resets are no go. Imaginary customers stories won't help either. Best Practices described by the hardware manufacturer(s) are the only ones accepted. Asus routers are not mostly defective units and don't require any special treatment.

Funny though how those hardware manufacturer guides (and support calls) leave so many wanting. :rolleyes:

You have to live with it too. Stop spreading FUD, continuously. Stating lies doesn't make things true, no matter how hard or often you try.

I'll state this one last time. The guides are an aggregation of the tips and tricks I learned from members' past, long before you joined with your sense of self-worth.

They have helped me, my customers, and many on the forum right here too.

Nobody said anything about 'mostly defective units'. Again, you are grasping at straws to make yourself seem superior.

I'm thankful most here are here to help without needing to put others down to do so.

When you actually use the routers in question in your own network, your opinion may be worth something more. Right now, you're just a noisy gong that likes to hear itself.

If they're a waste of time links to you, you don't need to constantly read them. Let the ones they were directed at get the benefits they offer.

You really are an authoritarian.

Try to be less so.

My take on your guides are that they frequently have steps that address unusual edge cases. This makes the procedures longer yet anyone that follows all the steps are likely to have a good outcome.

I personally don't follow all your steps as when I get to some of the instructions realize it's not needed in my case. One needs to be very experienced to know when it is OK to skip a step as I do so my advice to most is just follow the entire procedure step by step.

Your guides are a great asset to the community,

Morris

I read with envy that many of you do not need to reboot your router regularly. This is not my experience and wonder how can I troubleshoot the issue. is there a guide somewhere?

i have a RT-AC86U and on ver 386.4. Typically the router do not have any issue in the first day after reboot. Then the router present the webui for login but web page freeze after login. Again after anoth few days, I can’t even get the webhi login. Despite the webui issue, my family members are still able to access the internet. SSH is also working. I would then need to SSh to the rout and issue a reboot command.

I have Skynet, Diversion and YazFi. I do enable minidlna. AiProtection is off. Parental Controls - Web & Apps Filters is on. I am using adaptive QOS. I do not use any of the games related features.
AiCloud sync is enabled.
My old AC86U has been up since the last Asus firmware auto upgrade. WIFI settings are at default with no complaints from the family. QOS and AiProtect enabled with DoT to Quad9. Expecting another firmware from Asus any day and the router will auto upgrade itself and keep chugging.
Best Practice? Right...

When, not if the router becomes problematic, the best practice steps have brought sanity to the router/network once again. For many.

With mostly defaults selected, on stock firmware, there is little to go wrong, granted. Enjoy the free ride you're getting so far.

But making light of helpful posts for others is like making light of someone that has a disease you don't happen to have.

When, not if the router becomes problematic, the best practice steps have brought sanity to the router/network once again. For many.

With mostly defaults selected, on stock firmware, there is little to go wrong, granted. Enjoy the free ride you're getting so far.

But making light of helpful posts for others is like making light of someone that has a disease you don't happen to have.
@L&LD Who is this post directed to?

I replied to the post above mine. Respectfully, is that not understood?

@thiggins, thanks for pointing that out then. I will be sure to tag the replies I give more consistently starting now.

But, as I read the entire forum, every day, I see it as a continuing conversation and the 'tagging' simply clutters up the forum unnecessarily. But if it helps, I'll do so.