What's new

Troubleshooting ntp on boot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
For some reason, ntp will not reliably sync for me on reboot for me.

I can see the below process running:
Code:
/usr/sbin/ntp -t -S /sbin/ntpd_synced -p pool.ntp.org -p time.nist.gov

but time never syncs. If I manually re-run the command, time is set immediately. Is there any way to get logging out of ntp so I can check why it is not syncing?

RT-AC86U 384.17

Last edited:
I’d focus on the DNS situation during boot. Busybox NTP allows a verbose level, but if it runs successfully after-the-fact it’s not much use. Maybe put the command in wan-start/wan-event to test nslookup of the NTP servers and ntp with -d.

I’d focus on the DNS situation during boot. Busybox NTP allows a verbose level, but if it runs successfully after-the-fact it’s not much use. Maybe put the command in wan-start/wan-event to test nslookup of the NTP servers and ntp with -d.
dns resolution seems fine, i can nslookup from the router itself and they resolve. router is set to not use dnsmasq so everything goes upstream to cloudflare

dns resolution seems fine, i can nslookup from the router itself and they resolve. router is set to not use dnsmasq so everything goes upstream to cloudflare
But during boot, there could be a timing / sequencing issue with WAN coming up. Maybe?

Hm, I wonder if this is related? Do others have this file?
Code:
admin@RT-AC86U:/tmp/home/root# cat /jffs/cfg.json 
{"ntp_server0":"","action_script":"restart_time;restart_leds;restart_usb_idle;restart_firewall;restart_bhblock;"}

Hm, I wonder if this is related? Do others have this file?
Code:
{"ntp_server0":"","action_script":"restart_time;restart_leds;restart_usb_idle;restart_firewall;restart_bhblock;"}
Yes, but mine is different
Code:
{"wl0_maclist_x":"","action_script":"restart_wireless"}

I don't know its purpose

Jack I've had the same issue intermittently for the last few weeks on the 3200. NTP doesn't sync and I wind up rebooting again. At least with your thread I have a command to try in SSH. :)