What's new

Troubleshooting Samba

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mikebk

Occasional Visitor
I'm having problems connecting to a samba share on my asus rt-ac66r from a Kodak all-in-1 printer as described in http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=10221.

It appears that my next troubleshoting step should be to increase Samba's log level and use the resulting logs to understand the problem. I was able to increase the log level in /etc/smb.conf using the custom configuration files in the Merlin build.

Unfortunately, the log file in /var/log.samba was empty with a modification date at the end of 2010. I've looked around but haven't found the samba log file and confirmed that the syslog log at /tmp/syslog.log isn't getting additional events.

Where should I look for the samba logs? I've set the log level to 3 based on information on samba.org's website. Am I increasing the log level appropriately?

Thanks

Mike

I'm still unable to access the samba share from the printer. I've also been completely unable to produce any additional Samba log messages.

I have used Wireshark to look at messages that are actually sent. Samba is responding with STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME in the response to a "Tree Connect Andx Request" a message.

The only text (in UTF-16!) is the share name so I tried changing the share name with no change in symptoms.

Has anyone seen this error or have an idea as to what it means?

Thanks

Mike

I have used Wireshark to look at messages that are actually sent. Samba is responding with STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME in the response to a "Tree Connect Andx Request" a message.
Hi Mike,

I recall a problem like this. I think it was caused by a directory permission somewhere in the path missing read. Check the directory perms are at leas 755 for the path you share with Samba.
Code:
chmod 0755 -R /Your-Samba-Path

With kind regards
Joe