What's new

Troubleshooting why loads of wlan clients dropped off

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alpine_Messi

Occasional Visitor
Dear all,

Woke up this morning and my Google nest hub was telling me that it has fallen off the WiFi, although I haven't made any changes. This is odd enough to make me investigate.

I manually confirmed the WiFi password and it connected again, but in my routers network map I noticed there are 10-13 clients fewer than I normally have connected

How would you go about investigating what happened? I don't have remote log shipping enabled, but is there an easy way of going through my syslog etc?

Thanks in advance

Two main causes, 1) someone else is using your wifi channel(s), 2) your AP is set to auto select a channel.
Use a wifi scanner (or your phone) to see whats around you.

Thanks. I'll look at the channels.

Update: I think it's only affecting 2.4Ghz band, and think it could be my YazFi'd guest network.

My CCTV cameras, doorbell and Google's all fell off. My CCTV cameras tell me it happened around 2:25am. I thought maybe it could be DHCP leases ending and not getting a new one for some reason

I looked at it's config and strangely could see intranet access turned ON, when I've definitely set it to off. Mysterious.

If for some reason the config is changed you have a different problem. Power dips/spikes are known to do this.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!