What's new

Trying to decide if this is the time to Upgrade from Zyxel NAS 325

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ppilot

Regular Contributor
So I've had a Zyxel NAS 325 for about three years now and starting to get the upgrade itch. Basically all the NAS is being used for is media storage for KODI and other software. However, I will probably end up using the new NAS a DVR with SiliconDusts TV software, so I wasn't sure how much more processing power I would need for those two to simultaneously happen. So right now I am looking at the Zyxel NAS540, QNAP 431+, Synology DS416j, or Asustor AS1004T. Are the more sophisticated software ecosystems worth the premiums the QNAP and Synology have over the Zyxel or Asustor?

I also stumbled upon the Asustor AS3104T which looks to offer a really solid bang for the buck for $100 more, but wasn't sure if it added that much value based on my expected usage.

Thanks for the help!

You may not need any additional horsepower. I'd try to use the ZyXEL and upgrade if you need to.

If you don't need the "more sophisticated software ecosystems" and happy with what ZyXEL offers, then no, the price premiums aren't worth it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!