What's new

Trying to figure out if my AX88u is defective or not

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pattuspl

New Around Here
Hey guys first time poster here but been lurking around for past few days. Here is the story.

For the past 3 years at least I was using Netgear Orbi RBK50 Mesh router. All this time I had Verizon fios for my ISP from speeds of 1 gb to now 200/200 which clocks around 305/340 on upload. So I really wanted to upgrade after all these years and it just seems like I downgraded instead of upgraded. I already sold my Orbi so there is no way out, and I am trying to figure out if my unit is defective or not with your help.

So my plans clocks out around 305/340 and I read bunch of threads on reddit and here and after changing some settings my devices can handle the full download speed of (300 mbps) but nowhere on the upload speed. It hangs between 100-200 mbps.

I live in NYC apartment and I have chosen the least used channels and so on.

my wifi 6 devices are:

Note 10+, iPhone 11 pro, Killer AX1650x < the killer is actually the slowest out of the other wifi 6 devices.

I am adding links to my recent speed test via note10+ and screenshot of my settings. I am also attaching my speeds from Orbi Router from past 2 months.

My unit was delivered just on Tuesday so I still have 3+ weeks to exchange it.

Attachments

• Asus.png
    Asus.png
    558.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot_20201007-092352_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007-092352_Speedtest.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_20201008-100359_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20201008-100359_Speedtest.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 104
Scan the local area with a WiFi analyser, they're not perfect but will give you a good idea of the the control channels that are being used in your vacinity.

Manually select a control channel. I use 52 on the AP and 100 on the main router but I'm fortunate as these channels are not being used by no one around me. Choose the channel that is not being used. I do suggest staying away from the Weather Radar channels too.

Also select 80Mhz channel width.

See how you get on with these settings.

@pattuspl, you may want to follow the suggestions below to better determine if it's the hardware or a misconfiguration issue.

Fully Reset Router and Network

Thanks for your reply. Before I even posted here a day before I did a fully hard reset (using the WPS method) and then using GUI (twice using WPS). Is there a diffent method by any chance?
Scan the local area with a WiFi analyser, they're not perfect but will give you a good idea of the the control channels that are being used in your vacinity.

Manually select a control channel. I use 52 on the AP and 100 on the main router but I'm fortunate as these channels are not being used by no one around me. Choose the channel that is not being used. I do suggest staying away from the Weather Radar channels too.

Also select 80Mhz channel width.

See how you get on with these settings.

Before I posted here I had it on 80mhz . I use app called inssider on PC which is pretty good and I have tried many un-used channels. The lower ones work better. No matter what settings I tried this router doesn't seem to be able to handle 340 mbps of upload speed vs ORBI.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!