What's new

Trying to get Remote Access Reliably Working. HELP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Agrajag

Occasional Visitor
For years I've wanted to get reliable access to my system for a few purposes. Here are a few of the things I'd like to do:

1. Have access to my qBittorrent session using their Android App or the web interface. I swear I HAD it working, but it's refusing to connect (Windows Firewall is disabled via services.msc so it's not them).

2. Have Wake-on-Lan finally work as I run a Plex server and sometimes there's a power outage taking out the PC and, by extension the Plex server. Having the ability to kick it back on with a phone ping would be great. I've yet to get any Android app or web approach to make that work on my Asus-based desktop with WOL enabled.

Remote Desktop is not a big priority, however, I do have DDNS set up via xxxxxx.asuscomm.com, but nothing connects when I go there.

I run a static IP on the desktop in Windows 10.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

WoL is quite often a pipe dream....even in an Enterprise environment, I have never seen it work reliably across the board. My "server" has a BIOS setting that tells it to return to the same power state it was at prior to power loss. So after any power outage, it comes back up on its own.

For your remote access questions....setup openVPN on the router. Install the client on your Android and now you have access to your network in a more secure fashion than just inbound NAT....assuming you keep your router patched of course.

I'm running Asuswrt-Merlin and keep my updates fresh.

I'm not clear on how OpenVPN will help connect me (does it matter that I already pay for PrivateAccess VPN services or is this entirely different?

Running an OpenVPN server on the router will allow to connect your client device (running OpenVPN client) to your home network as if you were locally connected. So, in theory, anything you could do at home you can do remotely.

P.S. If you can connect to the router's web interface, there's an option (Network Tools > Wake on LAN) to send a WOL packet to any device on the network (it's easier if you've added devices to the list beforehand ;)).