What's new

Trying to understand a little about MOCA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nakedbamboo

New Around Here
My internet service is provided by Frontier with an ONT in the garage feeding the coax system in my house. I have the Frontier supplied router feeding my own ASUS wireless router. I have also been using an older generation MOCA adapter in my office straight from the wall to my PC with no problems. I wanted to eliminate the "I believe" redundant router from Frontier by just replacing it with another MOCA adapter. I have purchased 2 GoCoax 2.5 MOCA adapters to use. I am unable to get it to work, so I think I am misunderstanding something. All the diagrams I find still contain the provider router (see picture below) and I don't know why. I have disabled all wireless functionality from that router and I thought it was just acting as a MOCA adapter for my ASUS router. Is it actually doing something else that is required by the network? Should I be able to replace the router with an adapter? Basically, I would like to have the setup be like the picture below with the ISP MI424W removed.

I was able to replace the older generation adapter in my office with one of the Gocoax adapters and it functions fine. However, when I follow the instructions to set my PC IP address to 192.168.254.254 to get to the adapter settings, that kills the internet link. I have to change it back to "obtain IP automatically" to get the internet working again. I just wanted to also confirm this is correct. Thank you for your help.

MoCaSchematic.png

Briefly, if your Frontier router is the MI424-WR, then the MoCA WAN is achieved via a MoCA Band C network between the ONT and MI424-WR, leaving all of MoCA Band D to MoCA LAN use.

Assuming the only benefit of the MI424-WR is the MoCA WAN link to the ONT, your simplest solution would be to replace the MI424-WR with an Arris MEB1100, a special MoCA adapter that only supports the necessary Band C MoCA WAN connection. (Frontier may be able to provide you with one, per this page; else, see eBay)

MoCASchematic_with_MEB1100.png

p.s. Keep in mind that the Band C MoCA WAN supported by both the MI424-WR and MEB1100 would be capped at under 150 Mbps, the limit for a MoCA 1.1 network.

Last edited:
when I follow the instructions to set my PC IP address to 192.168.254.254 to get to the adapter settings, that kills the internet link.
To be expected, as you’re reconfiguring the PC from the settings needed to communicate on/over your LAN to values strictly for communicating directly with a single MoCA adapter.

What you’ll want to do is temporarily tweak your PC’s settings to access each MoCA adapter’s configuration UI, in order to configure each adapter with unique IP settings compatible with your LAN, either DHCP-assigned or static. Once the MoCA adapters have been reconfigured for your LAN, you can reset your PC to its original LAN settings and it should then be able to communicate directly with each adapter over the LAN, using each adapter’s newly assigned unique LAN IP address.

I just upgraded or returned to Frontier FIOS. The installation from the ONT to the copper coax used a FCA 251 MoCA adapter to my AC1900 Smart WiFi Router. It works fine at the router location. We tried my existing MoCA adapters Hitron HT-EM4 but it did not work. The installer said that Frontier adapter was tuned to the FIOS net work???? The reason for my post is that the wireless network from the AC1900 is a bit weak in my house. I would like to re-establish my MoCA network in my bedroom and study (computer room). Do I need to buy the Frontier MoCA adapters and use a splitter before the router?

it would help us help you if you would post a map of your network with all devices identified, including splitters by rating.

I just upgraded or returned to Frontier FIOS. The installation from the ONT to the copper coax used a FCA 251 MoCA adapter to my AC1900 Smart WiFi Router. It works fine at the router location. We tried my existing MoCA adapters Hitron HT-EM4 but it did not work. The installer said that Frontier adapter was tuned to the FIOS net work???? The reason for my post is that the wireless network from the AC1900 is a bit weak in my house. I would like to re-establish my MoCA network in my bedroom and study (computer room). Do I need to buy the Frontier MoCA adapters and use a splitter before the router?
Gonna need proof of life before investing any time in a reply.