What's new

Trying to understand system log entries related to rebooting router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jimmyb2

New Around Here
I have an Asus GT-AXE16000 running on Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2_2.

This router, by the way, is brand new received on May 20 as a result of me quickly purchasing a new router thinking that my previous Asus AX89X had failed due to all the rebooting necessary after continuously dropping connections on May 16-17. Had I been aware at the time that this was happening all over the world I would not have purchased the new router, but now I have two Asus routers. Much thanks, &%N$%#!, to Asus for not notifying the public of the problem immediately after discovery. A simple notification of "Hey, we have a problem, and we are working hard to fix it. Please bear with us." would have saved me, and possibly countless others from unnecessarily purchasing new routers. It may have paid off for Asus though in the near term if many others also purchased new Asus routers.

Sorry for the rant, but difficult to hold back when I think about it.

There is one good thing (silver lining?) that came out of that. I never used to pay attention to the routers. I just set them up, and then simply ignored and used them. However, as a result of last week's experience I now am beginning to pay a lot of attention to my router(s). On the other hand, that may be a bad thing for all of you because I am going to have lots of questions, I think, due to my lack of knowledge on networking and computers.

Back to my issue. I am curious about some system logs related to rebooting the router.

May 5 01:05:59 wsdd2[2787]: error: wsdd-mcast-v4: wsd_send_soap_msg: send

May 27 12:27:05 wsdd2[2787]: Terminated received.

May 27 12:27:07 wsdd2[3371]: Terminated received.

May 27 12:27:55 crond[2707]: time disparity of 2661801 minutes detected

Those are the last four entries in the system log after rebooting the GT-AXE16000 router from the GUI. I have noticed that whenever the router reboots for any reason the date entered into the log changes to "May 5 01:05:24". The date is always May 5, but the time actually ranges between 01:05:22 and 01:05:25 on different reboots. That date change happened every time on the AX89X during the reboots last week.

Then on restarting the date entered changes to the actual date and time. Then several seconds (ranging from 19 to 50 seconds) later it enters the line that lists the "time disparity". The "time disparity" has so far always been in the millions of minutes as seen on the last log entry above. My router was only down a total of 2 minutes 40 seconds; so I question why the 2,661,801 minute "time disparity". I calculated those 2+ million minutes back to May 26, 2018 @ 10:45:55 hrs.

Every reboot of the AX89X last week showed a time disparity dating from February 14, 2018 @ 13:35:xx (seconds vary) hrs. date/time.

Can anyone shed some light on what is going on?

Why always changing to "May 5" (no year given) with a time always 01:05:xx (seconds vary)?

Why the time disparity always points back to 2018 with May 23 on the GT-AXE16000 and Feb. 14 on the AX89X?

Those are all normal messages.

The router has no battery-backed clock so the date defaults to 5th May 2018 on initial boot up. Then, once connection to the internet is established, the correct date and time are set via NTP.

Last edited:
Those are all normal messages.

The router has no battery-backed clock so the date defaults to 5th May 2018 on initial boot up. Then, once connection to the internet is established, the correct date and time are set via NTP.

Thank you, but I understand that. I did not think anything was suspicious or malicious.

I am just wondering why it uses 2018, and why those specific days and times. What is so significant about those dates and times? Why not just use 01/01/01 @ 00:00:00 hours as a reference? And why default to a time of 01:05:xx? There must be some significance to those dates/times.

I am just wondering why it uses 2018, and why those specific days and times. What is so significant about those dates and times? Why not just use 01/01/01 @ 00:00:00 hours as a reference? And why default to a time of 01:05:xx? There must be some significance to those dates/times.
That time comes with the router or firmware image, I'm not sure which.
Which reminds me, that can be set to the last reboot time given some coding. Could be a future amtm feature.

As far as I know it's just a fairly random date and time chosen by the Asus programmers. It's hard-coded here:

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!