What's new

Trying to use Quad9 with new ASUS RT-AX88U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I've started setting up my new router, which only arrived this morning. I've made a lot of progress, but I can't get it to use Quad9. I have tried rebooting both the router and my laptop, but when I run a test, it reports that I am still using my ISP's DNS servers. This is how I have it configured at the moment (using Merlin's beta 2 firmware):
Screenshot - 22_04_2023 , 16_06_12.jpg

Screenshot - 22_04_2023 , 16_06_46.jpg

Yes I did, but I've just done it again to make sure. Here's the result of the test:
DNS Test.png

What you test with and do you have any other entries in DNS Director?

Is your ISP provided equipment a modem/router with Wi-Fi enabled by chance?

Last edited:
What you test with and do you have any other entries in DNS Director?

Is your ISP provided equipment a modem/router with Wi-Fi enabled by chance?
I'm testing using my laptops (I have two and both give the same result). I don't have any other entries in DNS director. The router connects to the CityFibre ONT via a cat 7 cable. I did have a FRITZ!Box router provided by my ISP and I was able to set that up to use Quad9 without any problems, so I'm wondering if this is a bug in the firmware?

You had an Asus router before, no? How was the old one set and was it working?

Few people around have RT-AX88U Pro already and no one reported DNS server issues in firmware.

Just tried a test on my phone and that gives the same result as well. It worked on my previous ASUS router and as far as I can remember, it was set up in a similar fashion.

I'll have to pause for half an hour now as my dinner awaits!

Enjoy your dinner! :)

When you come back - check your settings again and make sure your clients are actually connecter to your Asus router.

Enjoy your dinner! :)

When you come back - check your settings again and make sure your clients are actually connecter to your Asus router.
Yes they are. Here's the entry for one of my laptops for instance:
Network List - My Laptop.jpg

Check your settings again. As I said no one complained there is DNS servers issue in Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 firmware and I had a router running it until yesterday for like 10 days. Had to load stock Asuswrt 388_22525 to check something. This is the base for Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 firmware.

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow has RT-AX88U Pro running 388.2 firmware. If he never noticed any DNS issues on it - they don't exist.

The only thing I can think to do is: 1) Make a backup of my current configuration; 2) Load the latest stock firmware; 3) Check to see if the problem still exists; 4) If not, reload the Merlin firmware, perform a factory reset and check again; 5) If still working, start setting everything up all over again.

I'll have to wait until morning to try any of this, before anyone else needs the internet.

I don't suppose by any chance that there could be something in the log that might give a clue and if so, what?

Without seeing all your related settings I can't tell where the issue is. It's basic configuration. When changing DNS servers the router restarts dnsmasq and you have corresponding log messages in system log. It loses WAN connection for few seconds and the WAN light turns red. This is what happens visually.

I don't think that is happening because although the router is not close to me, the VOIP phone sitting on my desk is very quick to show me if there is an interruption to the internet.

This is happening every time you change DNS servers. I remember you had similar issues in the past and we had very similar conversation. No idea why you have replaced your AX88U router with AX88U Pro and now going again through settings plus Asuswrt-Merlin on top. I can't help you by guessing what eventually you may have done especially if you don't believe what I'm saying. As I said - it's a basic configuration.

This is happening every time you change DNS servers. I remember you had similar issues in the past and we had very similar conversation. No idea why you have replaced your AX88U router with AX88U Pro and now going again through settings plus Asuswrt-Merlin on top. I can't help you by guessing what eventually you may have done especially if you don't believe what I'm saying. As I said - it's a basic configuration.
Sorry but I'm not sure what you are getting at. I've not said I don't believe you. What is it I'm supposed to not be believing?

What DNS servers are being offered under the DHCP tab?

You've shown WAN DNS settings (what the router itself will use) and that DNS director is enabled but not the DNS server that your routers DHCP is telling clients to use - which (I believe) is what DNS director will enforce.

What DNS servers are being offered under the DHCP tab?

You've shown WAN DNS settings (what the router itself will use) and that DNS director is enabled but not the DNS server that your routers DHCP is telling clients to use - which (I believe) is what DNS director will enforce.
Do you mean this?
LAN dns servers.jpg

• Make sure clients are not using DNS over HTTPS. If Zen does not support DoH, then this is not the problem.
  • Maybe Zen is redirecting DNS to itself. If true, then try DNS over TLS.
  • I am OK with using the ISP DNS temporarily on boot.
DNS_Director.JPG

DNS_TLS.JPG

Last edited:
DNS_Quad9.JPG

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!