Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

ts-251 versus ts-251+

Discussion in 'QNAP' started by gonz3405, Sep 13, 2017.

1. gonz3405

gonz3405 New Around Here

getting ready to purchase my first NAS. I have zeroed in on the qnap ts-251. I have been to Qnap web site and done a compare between the ts-251 and ts-251+, besides the color, cpu, and included remote I see no other difference. Am I missing something? It does not look like the + is worth the extra price

2. sentinelvdx

sentinelvdx Senior Member

I didn't find much difference, but my choice over TS-251 was that for sure TS-251+ supports 16GB of RAM (yes, it says it supports up to 8GB, but I had no problem installing 2x8GB modules)
    Not sure about soft features if they have enabled the same stuff for both models

Sent from my SM-G935FD using Tapatalk

3. gonz3405

gonz3405 New Around Here

Thanks for your response. This is my first NAS, and I noticed the TS-251 has some HTPC functionality I have not seen in other NAS in this price point. My NAS requirements will not be that big as compared to your profile, so I think I will go with the ts-251. Your response was very helpful in allowing me to decide.

4. sentinelvdx

sentinelvdx Senior Member

Glad to hear that!
    Whatever you choose from both is a good start. They have good performance, lot of features and many uses.
    Don't know what is going to be the main use you are going to give to it, but I recommend you to digg on all the apps, and features it has. Probably you'll find other things to perform in it.

Sent from my SM-G935FD using Tapatalk

5. gonz3405

gonz3405 New Around Here

My main focus will be as a NAS and replacement to cloud subscription. However in researching NAS, I noticed the use this unit may have in my entertainment system. This could be part HTPC for me. Yes I noted the many apps available and am looking forward to it. Thanks again.