What's new

TUF AX5400 Firmware 3.0.0.4.386_49873, AiProtection, and micro disconnections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dr Mono

Regular Contributor
Just an FYI for the community.

The latest version of the TUF AX5400 firmware (3.0.0.4.386_49873) appears to have a bug. Activating AiProtection leads to brief micro disconnections of 2-4 devices simultaneously for ~30 seconds. It happens in both the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. Disabling AiProtection gets rid of the problem. I tried hard factory reset and reinstalling the firmware, but no luck.

So your options are: 1) Disable AiProtection (my choice), 2) revert to the previous firmware, or 3) install Gnuton's Merlin (haven't tested this one).

I also have TUF Gaming AX5400 with less than a month with @GNUton @RMerlin Asus Merlin firmware and works like a charm.

It even give you access a text-only software through entware that give you more options like @Martineau wireguard manager, that script alone for me is worth of the asus-merlin firmware.

The latest version of the TUF AX5400 firmware (3.0.0.4.386_49873) appears to have a bug. Activating AiProtection leads to brief micro disconnections of 2-4 devices simultaneously for ~30 seconds. It happens in both the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. Disabling AiProtection gets rid of the problem. I tried hard factory reset and reinstalling the firmware, but no luck.

So your options are: 1) Disable AiProtection (my choice), 2) revert to the previous firmware, or 3) install Gnuton's Merlin (haven't tested this one).
Never noticed on mine… all good here.

Never noticed on mine… all good here.
Interesting. I have a very straightforward configuration, but also a lot of IoT devices. Maybe those two not getting along?

It took me a while to notice - I was randomly dropping Zoom calls for a few seconds every few days and my Shark vac was sometimes very slow to respond to voice commands. Reviewing the logs and connection times helped me ID and troubleshoot the problem.

In a disappointing move from Asus, today they released a new .386 firmware (Version 3.0.0.4.386.50224), supposedly to fix issues and improve stability.

Why release a 386 fw when they are releasing .388 fw (Asuswrt 2022) on some other models, goes beyond my understanding

To fix issues and improve stability.

While they continue to work on the 388 code base they want all their supported routers to be on.

Not disappointing at all.

After all, there is real work involved in moving so many router's to a new code base. No magic wand here.

Why release a 386 fw when they are releasing .388 fw (Asuswrt 2022) on some other models, goes beyond my understanding
Because of the large number of changes in 388, it requires longer and more thorough testing from the QA team than just a point update for a 386 release. That's why models are only gradually being migrated to 388, a few at a time.

And from what I've seen so far, there are still a number of unfinished (and unannounced) new features in 388 that aren't there yet. So there's no real urgency to see models moved to 388, a gradual migration makes more sense there.

I need stability, so I prefer a stable 386, than an unstable 388. Looking forward to (a hopefully very stable) 388 :)

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!