What's new

tuning my local unbound + Adguard home setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jata

I have recently setup a raspberry pi on my network as a dedicated unbound + adguard DNS solution. With lots of help from the community & following threads, I have it working well but might have over complicated things.

I wanted to see if I can tune anything before a write a note to myself so I can set this all up again if/when i need to. This is a summary of my setup

merlin
WAN DNS - set to use my ISP DNS
DHCP DNS - set to my local adguard + unbound server
dnsmasq - with a dnsmasq.conf.add file adding:
Code:
no-resolv
server=192.168.100.101   #my pi - primary DNS

Adguard
Upstream DNS set to
Code:
[//100.168.192.in-addr.arpa/lan/local/]192.168.100.1:53
127.0.0.1:5335

With this setup, I get local host names resolving, WAN DNS working normally for the router & clients not using DHCP, and adguard can determine client names/ip's in its logs.

• How does this setup compare to what other people have?
  • Do I need both the dsnmasq config and the adguard upstream setup ([//100.168.192.in-addr.arpa/lan/local/]192.168.100.1:53) or are they duplicating each other?
  • I am running the DNS monitor tool (so good - thank you @eibgrad ) but most of my DNS is in red see below example. Is this an area that I can improve?

udp src=192.168.100.101 dst=184.85.248.128 dport=53 src=184.85.248.128 dst=122.106.xxx.xxx [deleted part of my wan ip for privacy]

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!