What's new

Turn off 2.4GHz wireless with latest Orbi firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RogerSC

Part of the Furniture
Newest firmware: V1.12.0.18

Used to be able to disable 2.4 GHz wireless from the advanced wireless setting page. That setting seems to be gone now.

Anyone know how to disable 2.4GHz wireless in web admin GUI or via telnet?

Thanks!

May go back to previous firmware version so that I can turn off 2.4GHz. wireless, but would prefer not to do that.

Did end up going back to the previous release (V1.11.0.20) to turn off 2.4GHz. band. Not happy with that "solution", and had to turn off some nvram variables that control autoupdate...the first time I tried flashing backwards, the router immediately re-flashed the latest *smile*. Here's some clues on what to do to keep the router from immediately flashing the latest:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

The nvram variables mentioned include:

orbi_auto_upgrade
auto_check_for_upgrade
auto_update

Don't know if all of these are needed, but they seem to be enough. My router's been sitting at the previous release for a day now. It does show that there's a later release, so "auto_check_for_upgrade" isn't disabling that check...I can ignore that, though *smile*.

I'm hoping that Netgear puts back the setting to allow disabling 2.4GHz. wireless. Since I'm not using 2.4GHz., there's no need to inflict it on my neighbors. On the other hand, I also need current and future security fixes, so I need to be able to use later versions of firmware.

Last edited:
Anyone know how to disable 2.4GHz wireless in web admin GUI or via telnet?

Why?

Just let it run - you don't have to use it - but it's nice as a backstop when one is out of range of 5GHz... and there's a crossover where 2.4GHz does offer better performance than 5GHz...

Why?

Just let it run - you don't have to use it - but it's nice as a backstop when one is out of range of 5GHz... and there's a crossover where 2.4GHz does offer better performance than 5GHz...

The reason that I keep 2.4GHz. wireless turned off is that my 2.4GHz. "network neighborhood" is over-populated already. Since I'm not using 2.4GHz., and don't need it as a backup with full 5GHz. coverage of my house with the Orbi in any case, I figure it would be nice to my neighbors to get the loud unused signal out of their routers *smile*. Let my neighbors that use it fight it out over 2.4GHz.

I figure it would be nice to my neighbors to get the loud unused signal out of their routers *smile*. Let my neighbors that use it fight it out over 2.4GHz.

It's just a beacon - so not a problem...

Yes, no data on it, but it is a strong signal. You're most likely correct that whether an unused signal is there or not isn't much of a problem for those that are using 2.4GHz. However, it offends my sense of neighborliness and economy of operation since I don't need it. Obviously, that's just me *smile*.

It also seems that for people that are using autochannel, just having my signal there might crowd others together to avoid my signal. Just guessing there, not sure about that.

Yes, no data on it, but it is a strong signal.

And if you're not using it presently - who cares?

Seriously... the beacon is so short in the timeline of 802.11...

Don't worry about it - and heck, when one is the the back-yard, it's ok... use it.

I don't worry about it, I turn it off *smile*.

Thanks.