What's new

Turning an AP into router mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jjulez

Regular Contributor
When i do this will the router mode settings still be there ,want set it up at another location, thanks.

If whatever AP you're using will also "router", then it will most certainly act as a router when told to do so. Beyond that I'm bewildered by your question.

a factory reset of the AP unit will magically revert it to being a router, complete with DHCP server, if it had that capability to begin with.

I am not doing a factory reset.. i just switching it back to router taking it to another location. , just wanted to know if the router settings will still be there.Lets say i wanted to replace my main router with that AP..This AP had the same settings as my main

I am not doing a factory reset.. i just switching it back to router taking it to another location. , just wanted to know if the router settings will still be there.Lets say i wanted to replace my main router with that AP..This AP had the same settings as my main

Are you saying it used to be a router, then you converted it to AP, and want to know if converting it back to a router would it have all your old settings? My guess is no. Or if you're saying you have an AP and when you convert to router will it still have the wireless settings? In that case maybe, but you'd have to reconfigure a bunch of other stuff anyway. In either case I'd say factory reset it.

If you are saying you want to just have a backup in case your main router fries, then configure this secondary one as a router (after a factory reset) back up the config, then change it to AP (again doing a factory reset first to be safe). Then if you ever need to use it as a router again you just factory reset and restore the router backup file.

Are you saying it used to be a router, then you converted it to AP, and want to know if converting it back to a router would it have all your old settings? My guess is no.

If we are talking about an Asuswrt running router - from Router to AP Mode and back to Router keeps all the Router settings. I can't guarantee it works on all Asuswrt routers, but I definitively have done this with a few different models*. Mode change doesn't delete/reset unused in AP Mode NVRAM values.

* - I remember AC68U, AC5300 and AC86U.

If we are talking about an Asuswrt running router - from Router to AP Mode and back to Router keeps all the Router settings. I can't guarantee it works on all Asuswrt routers, but I definitively have done this with a few different models*. Mode change doesn't delete/reset unused in AP Mode NVRAM values.

* - I remember AC68U, AC5300 and AC86U.

Yeah I guess it isn't surprising that the NVRAM just gets left and ignored. I'd be concerned that something I had set in AP mode would have overwritten or affected something, but never tried it. Have always reset to default whenever changing a router's mode like that (never done it on the Asus). I still think the safest bet is to reset when changing mode like that, never know what kind of gremlins could be in there.

There is nothing much to change in AP Mode. All routing related features disappear from the GUI. If you change the Wi-Fi settings - the same will remain in Router mode after. USB attached storage settings remain the same as well - available in both modes. All settings in Administration remain unchanged.

It's an RT-AC86U running merlin, i wouldn't post in merlin area if it weren't about an Asus using merlin that is supported. Ok glad to know i won't lose the settings ,thanks to all

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!