What's new

Turning on SSH turns off HTTP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hvergelmir

New Around Here
Has anyone encountered the following issue? Under Administration if I enable SSH and configure all the items and then apply those changes, the web interface can no longer be reached. Turns out I can get in with SSH and I can see that nothing is listening on port 80 anymore.

Has anyone encountered this? How can I get around this and use SSH and HTTP interface in parallel?

Are you trying to be connected by both at the same time, or, one or the other?

Yes, I wasn't expecting the HTTP interface to go away just because I enabled SSH. However, neither concurrent nor sequential connection attempts work.

Also note: this isn't something that gets rectified by rebooting the router. HTTP interface remains unavailable even after a reboot.

Edit: attached a screenshot of the settings I made for the SSH server

I have also changed the default credentials, in case that matters in any way.

Attachments

• ssh-settings.png
    ssh-settings.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
What browser are you using? Did you try to clear the cache?

A reboot of the computer you're using to connect with the router, or using a different computer, if possible, may also allow access.

Can't see the screenshot. Nothing is attached to your post.

Still can't see anything? I had trouble attaching. The original screenshot was a bit wider and the error wasn't exactly useful.

Using Firefox. Latest version on Windows, 32bit program, 64bit OS. Yes, I have tried both clearing the cache and opening in a private window. But the issue is anyway a connection issue and I can - as I mentioned - see that no service is listening on port 80 for any of the IPs.

Firmware is asuswrt-merlin built from 7e42402fc38e3383fa347677a6c9a31a06198169
That doesn't really help. What is the firmware version number? i.e. RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5

What does it show at "Administration > System > Authentication Method" or are you saying that option has disappeared?

That doesn't really help. What is the firmware version number? i.e. RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5
That's the closest to the truth I can give you. No it's not RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5. It's not a tagged version either. However, the differences to those tagged versions would not account for the issue I am encountering.

Will try to build a version straight from a tag instead.

What does it show at "Administration > System > Authentication Method" or are you saying that option has disappeared?
Once I turn on SSH I do not have the option to check anything on the web interface anymore, as the router from that point on will not listen on port 80 (HTTP) anymore.

But let me check what the default settings are. I am not tinkering with any web-interface-related settings, though.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!