What's new

[TUTORIAL] Installing Rtorrent on AsusWrt Merlin routers through Entware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok I got everything working fine. Issue was with old config file containing some deprecated variables.
It was running fine for a month till couple days ago ;)
Suddenly it started throwing this error:

Code:
rtorrent -D -n -o import=/opt/etc/rtorrent/rtorrent.conf
rtorrent: error while loading shared libraries: libxmlrpc_util.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The only similar file I got is:

Code:
find / -type f -name 'libxmlrpc_util*'
/tmp/mnt/sda2/entware/lib/libxmlrpc_util.so.4.52

Modify in /opt/etc/rtorrent/rtorrent.conf
from
use_udp_trackers = yes
to
trackers.use_udp.set = yes
and from
peer_exchange = yes
to
protocol.pex.set = yes
And restart services
Code:
services restart

Last edited:
Modify in /opt/etc/rtorrent/rtorrent.conf
from
use_udp_trackers = yes
to
and from
peer_exchange = yes
to
protocol.pex.set = yes
And restart services
Code:
services restart
Yes, I can see in my config, those were causing the issue during startup.

And I have created symlink and...so far so good ;) I was just afraid there might be some incompatibility if I link to the newer lib.

thanks!

Don't need the symlink anymore, this will be fixed în next entware update https://github.com/Entware/rtndev/commit/b1432bdb56990edccc173f038256a3efad19d958
Thanks @Al Ryzhov
- yes, I have used those settings couple months ago and it started working fine. But couple days ago it started throwing lib issue, and symlink did help. The URL you've provided is a fix for the rtorrent not starting up due to the wrong/deprecated variables in the config file, which doesn't resolve the lib issue

Hmmm, ok then something else must have changed between the reboots...have you got the libxmlrpc_util.so.3 on your router?
I have checked the rutorrent binary and it seems to have this lib hardcoded...so shouldn't be working without it.

That't not really the answer to my question ;)
And yes, I've done it, still no trace of that file

I am on EXT4

fs.jpg

I installed rutorrent on a Asus router and it works fine but if i use the autotools plugin "Path to finished downloads" it move the file in the correct directory but when it does a hash check it say 0% and status is pausing.

This is what it show in the save path from the GUI.
X-Powered-By: PHP/7.2.17Content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8/mnt/2TB/rutorrent/Downloads

This part "X-Powered-By: PHP/7.2.17Content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8" should not be their any ideas?

Anyone else have issues with the latest updates?

rutorrent log at the start: "[08.10.2019 00:20:18] ruTorrent cannot determine the UID of rTorrent user. Some functionality will be unavailable."

Cannot open settings. I get these lines on the log after I click "Settings...":
[10/08/2019 00:20:24] XMLRPC Error: Method 'network.listen.is_open' not defined [getsettings]
[10/08/2019 00:20:24] XMLRPC Error: Method 'network.port.randomize' not defined [getsettings]
[10/08/2019 00:20:24] XMLRPC Error: Method 'network.port.range' not defined [getsettings]

My rtorrent.conf:
throttle.max_uploads.set = 8
session.path.set = /xxx/session
schedule2 = watch_directory, 5, 5, load.start=/xxx/watchdir/*.torrent
schedule2 = untied_directory, 5, 5, stop_untied=
schedule2 = low_diskspace, 5, 60, ((close_low_diskspace, 100M))
network.bind_address.set = 0.0.0.0
network.port_range.set = 51411-51411
pieces.hash.on_completion.set = yes
protocol.encryption.set = allow_incoming,enable_retry,prefer_plaintext
dht.mode.set = auto
dht.port.set = 51412
protocol.pex.set = yes
network.scgi.open_local = /opt/var/rpc.socket
encoding.add = UTF-8
throttle.max_uploads.global.set = 32
max_downloads_global = 64
throttle.max_downloads.global.set = 0
throttle.global_up.max_rate.set_kb = 200
directory.default.set = /xxx/torrents

Update: fixed it by clean reinstalling everything.

Last edited:
Sorry but I'm having issues installing with the easy install. Any ideas?

Code:
 Starting rtorrent...              failed.
Collected errors:
 * pkg_run_script: package "rtorrent-easy-install" postinst script returned status 255.
 * opkg_configure: rtorrent-easy-install.postinst returned 255.

Service does not start

@TeHashX
I've major issue with ext4 hdd , hash check fails, if i turn it off everything's working fine
Am i getting it right or some discrepancy on my end?

Hi! I've a issue with my ruTorrent Installation. After try to create a new torrent the client crash. After restart the services Show nothing. I have not much torrent I cleansing and only left no mor than 20 torrents seeding.
The log show the following message:

[03.07.2020 12:58:30] Bad response from server: (500 [error,getplugins]) Internal Server Error

I'm usign a RT-AC3100 router, with asuswrt-merlin firmware 384.17
Thanks!

If I remove all plugins ruTorrent works fine but If I install again the issue persist. Also uninstalling ruTorrent with plugins...after reinstall have the same issue

If I remove all plugins ruTorrent works fine but If I install again the issue persist. Also uninstalling ruTorrent with plugins...after reinstall have the same issue
Which plugins you removed? I've same problem without any plugins

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!