What's new

Two Asus AC68U, one as media bridge, suprisingly low speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yuvalfar

New Around Here
Hi Everyone,

Searched all over to see if anyone encountered this, couldn't find anything matching.

My setup is as described in the title, the routers are around 10m from each other, Link rate: 877.5 Mbps (tx and rx alike)
the effective speed i'm reaching is 300Mbps, which i could have been happy with, but i'm getting 250Mbps with an N66U having link speed 450Mbps, which is the reason i'm a bit disappointed.

I've put the two AC68U next to each other (around 1 meter distance) and the link speed went as high as 1300Mbps, but the actual speed (using iperf) is still around 300Mbps perhaps 10-20Mbps higher then before.

Does it make any sense? any way to improve it? tried repeater mode too, performance got even a bit lower.

Thanks in advance

What firmware version? Firmwares 380_1xxx had wifi issues, I recommend upgrading to 380_2695.

300 Mbps is about right for a 877 Mbps link rate (give or take 50 Mbps). At 1300 Mbps I would expect something higher, make sure your bottleneck isn't elsewhere (like with the test clients).

What firmware version? Firmwares 380_1xxx had wifi issues, I recommend upgrading to 380_2695.

300 Mbps is about right for a 877 Mbps link rate (give or take 50 Mbps). At 1300 Mbps I would expect something higher, make sure your bottleneck isn't elsewhere (like with the test clients).

Thanks for the reply.

The version is 380.58 (Merlin) on all routers, I will try installing the new 380.59 once I get back home and report back.
on the N66U as the bridge I get around 250Mbps with link rate 450Mbps, that's why I was expecting more then 300 on a 877 link.

Iperf is being used from the parent directly to a NAS connected on the other side, when I connect them with cable I get 1Gbps which made me assume i have no bottlenecks except wifi.

Also, I have played around with the 5Ghz channels, picked the most recommended one using The wireless diagnostics tool from Mac OS.

I would upgrade to 380.59 final.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-380-59-is-now-available.32469/

Following the steps below.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

As noted in the link above, test each channel individually (in both bands) for throughput (not signal strength or link rate) between a wired device (desktop computer or NAS with fast hdd's) and a laptop (preferably plugged into AC power) at several points in the WiFi area to be covered (at identical and repeatable locations and laptop orientations so that the results can be directly compared). The channel with the best combination of throughput, consistency and lowest latency is the one to choose (and in my experience, this channel is not always the same as what wifi tools might suggest either).

So, unfortunately, the upgrade of both devices to 380.59 didn't help much.

I am now testing between both routers having iperf installed.
oddly enough, even when the routers are 4 meters away, and the link rate is 1300Mbps, i am getting around 200Mbps.

Playing with the channels can make it vary a bit (+-50) but still much lower then expected from 1300Mbps link rate.

As far as i understand using iperf in the most simple way (iperf -c 192.168.2.1) mean it only tests throughput, hdd can't be the bottleneck, i've got to 1Gbps connecting the router to the nas directly using iperf which should support that.

Any other ideas what i might be missing here?

Last edited:
Just figured iperf to the router might have caused lower speeds, better iperf to the NAS.
Got around 400Mbps, then disabled beam forming and reached 463 Mbps :)

Macbook pro unfortunately even with Tx Rate 1300 gets only 200Mbps which also made it harder to test, only connecting it via cable to the first router and iperfing the NAS connected to the bridge helped

Last edited:
@Hunny Puppy, you are digging threads from 2016 and asking questions to a member who last visited SNB Forums in 2019.

1674516501981.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!