What's new

Two Asus RT-AC87R routers, Media Mode is lost at reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT1

New Around Here
I have two Asus RT-AC87R routers, both are running Asus Merlin 384.13_10
Router #1 is setup as a normal router
Router #2 is setup as a Media Bridge, my garage is unattached and I'm trying to get internet out there, its about 25 yards away from the house.

Here is my issues, When I set up media mode on router #2 everything connects just fine and it will work until the #1 router is rebooted. once that happens they will not connect back together again.
I have to do a hard reset on the #2 router and choose Media Mode and set it up from scratch again....then it works great until the #1 router is reboot again.

Any thoughts?
Is there a simpler solution to extend my network out to my garage? one that just works out of the box?

Thanks,
JT

I have two Asus RT-AC87R routers, both are running Asus Merlin 384.13_10
Router #1 is setup as a normal router
Router #2 is setup as a Media Bridge, my garage is unattached and I'm trying to get internet out there, its about 25 yards away from the house.

Here is my issues, When I set up media mode on router #2 everything connects just fine and it will work until the #1 router is rebooted. once that happens they will not connect back together again.
I have to do a hard reset on the #2 router and choose Media Mode and set it up from scratch again....then it works great until the #1 router is reboot again.

Any thoughts?
Is there a simpler solution to extend my network out to my garage? one that just works out of the box?

Thanks,
JT
Yes. Google powerline. It will give you network access between two or more power line adapters through the regular electrical system. Its really good and a god damn life saver.

You can pair two adapters with aes encryption giving you an unique network.
Then you can pair another pair for a seperated network and they will work individually and independent from eachother (the networks) over the same electrical system. The only drawback is that they share bandwidth.

But you can have a setup like this:

Fiber into hallway -> powerline adapter -> another powerline adapter in livingroom -> router in living room + TV box in living room -> second pair of powerline adapter in living room -> garage powerline adapter -> garage router in mesh mode.

So from fiber converter to powerline adapter to router gives public IP. But you want lan to the other devices. The second pair goes from router to the second router and whatever devices you want in lan.

I have this setup at my parents place except the garage is switched out to upstairs in this case.

POWERLINE!

Last edited:
Router #2 is setup as a Media Bridge

Media Bridge mode is wireless-to-wired bridge. It doesn't allow wireless clients.
I don't know how it extends your network to the garage. Must be wired clients only there.

Yes. Google powerline. It will give you network access between two or more power line adapters through the regular electrical system. Its really good and a god damn life saver.

That wont work, my house and my garage have two separate electric bills. The city treats them like two different houses. I think that's because my garage is very big and used to be a shop where business was conducted out of by a previous owner some 30+ years ago.

Media Bridge mode is wireless-to-wired bridge. It doesn't allow wireless clients.
I don't know how it extends your network to the garage. Must be wired clients only there.
Yes, that is correct...it is wired clients only in the garage.

That wont work, my house and my garage have two separate electric bills. The city treats them like two different houses. I think that's because my garage is very big and used to be a shop where business was conducted out of by a previous owner some 30+ years ago.
Shame. Your solution is this then cable solution.

I think I've found my solution, I bought a WIFI bridge off eBay. They are two devices that point at each other and as long as there is line of sight (which I have) then they claim 300 Mbps over 3 Kilometers. I only have a short distance to go so I'm sure I'll get great signal strength between my house and garage. I listed the Asus router for sale on eBay for a similar price the WIFI bridge cost so even trade.