What's new

Two GT-AX11000 routers in AiMesh mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sunny786

Regular Contributor
I setup two GT-AX11000 routers in AiMesh mode. I don’t see any significant signal increase on 5G band. Not played with any settings just everything is default. Anyone else has setup these two routers in AiMesh mode?
I can’t figure out how to control the RGB lights on Node router. It won’t even let me log into Node router.

How to setup backhaul via ethernet cable instead of 5G band. I don’t understand why this “5 GHz-2 is now used as dedicated WiFi backhaul under AiMesh mode’.

How to setup backhaul via ethernet cable instead of 5G band. I don’t understand why this “5 GHz-2 is now used as dedicated WiFi backhaul under AiMesh mode’.
it is how asus designed aimesh to function for the triband routers.. normally you would have 2g and 5g communicating between both routers, but when you throw a triband into the mix you get a one solid 5g band to do all the dedicated communication freeing up the other bands, despite you having a wired backhaul that will only supplement the connection and not supplant.

Try clicking on the node and changing the priority to wired from its default setting of auto... since you have a wired connection backhaul this has been seen to greatly improve speeds even on wireless connections..

But my all wireless devices are connected to the 5G band 2 & my other family members devices are connected to 2.4G & 5G band.

But my all wireless devices are connected to the 5G band 2 & my other family members devices are connected to 2.4G & 5G band.
you would have to run one in router mode and the other in AP mode.. in order for the triband to function properly with aimesh it needs the support of the third 5g band. I recommend just having one as router mode and one as AP mode.. you get the ability to adjust settings on both of them and you can use guest network on both of them if you decided, but on AImesh, guest mode is only supported on the main router. --- i would tell you that you would get the best performance in AP mode because you can customize wireless settings for both routers to fit your needs.

Try clicking on the node and changing the priority to wired from its default setting of auto... since you have a wired connection backhaul this has been seen to greatly improve speeds even on wireless connections..
Ok, I changed that Auto to Ethernet but when i go to Network Map tab and System Status 5GHz-2 shows the same information. Still backhaul is on 5GHz-2 band.

there is no way around that.-- AImesh disables the use of the 2nd 5gband to take the strain off the rest of the network. -- you should use AP mode instead that way it is only relying on the wired backhaul. the only down side is you have to set the second router up as an access point- which means configuring the wireless names and passwords and admin login and password manually, but it is worth it if you want to use all 3 bands .

you would have to run one in router mode and the other in AP mode.. in order for the triband to function properly with aimesh it needs the support of the third 5g band. I recommend just having one as router mode and one as AP mode.. you get the ability to adjust settings on both of them and you can use guest network on both of them if you decided, but on AImesh, guest mode is only supported on the main router. --- i would tell you that you would get the best performance in AP mode because you can customize wireless settings for both routers to fit your needs.
You are right, I think AP mode is the best because that can also give me the option to customize RGB light on GT-AX11000 on secondary router. AiMesh mode no option to customize RGB light on Node router.

the only thing the aimesh node does is mirror the settings of the parent node as far as wireless goes, everything else is virtually useless. i think you will also like that you can turn on guest wifi features on both routers which means you can make your own little private network seperate from what every one else in the house uses.

the only thing the aimesh node does is mirror the settings of the parent node as far as wireless goes, everything else is virtually useless. i think you will also like that you can turn on guest wifi features on both routers which means you can make your own little private network seperate from what every one else in the house uses.
sorry but you cannot use guest on an AP, if you do they will have FULL ACCESS to your main router intranet!
There is only 1 link from AP to main router and main router cannot differentiate between clients connected to main or guest SSID on AP!
Maybe you can solve this issue running scripts on Merlin ...

sorry but you cannot use guest on an AP, if you do they will have FULL ACCESS to your main router intranet!
There is only 1 link from AP to main router and main router cannot differentiate between clients connected to main or guest SSID on AP!
Maybe you can solve this issue running scripts on Merlin ...
Says who I have done it without any issues, this must be an issue you have experienced sorry. I do not have this issue with it. All it takes is simple knowledge on configuring wireless,setting up channels and what not, also there is no issues with guest network I can set it up on AP with no one being able to access it from main, simple clicks of the gui. Also one can argue this frees up the wireless to actually be wireless and not crippled by mesh.

Says who I have done it without any issues, this must be an issue you have experienced sorry. I do not have this issue with it. All it takes is simple knowledge on configuring wireless,setting up channels and what not, also there is no issues with guest network I can set it up on AP with no one being able to access it from main, simple clicks of the gui. Also one can argue this frees up the wireless to actually be wireless and not crippled by mesh.

All you have to turn on is SET AP isolated under the wireless tab for what ever band you do not want clients to communicate on :rolleyes:. Granted this is primitive way of running a network, it works just fine on an access point where you want to control guest access..

You can also place the second router into router mode a create a seperate subnet and set up static routes, then the guest network feature will have it's own ability to be isolated.

For me it seems you dont understand the problem you have!
Let RMerlin describe it, he will have better words than me.
BTW its the same reason why Aimesh wont support guest SSID on nodes!
You always can connect clients on node guest SSID to your main routers intranet as there is only one ethernet connection between and main router is not able to differentiate between clients connected to guest or main SSID on AP.

But if you are happy how it works for you stay tuned and go on, probably it wont make any difference for your needs regarding security.

well security issues can be said lie on both fronts. another security issue is when an AIMESH node randomly decides to turn WPS back on and alot of people dont pay attention to this main flaw in its design. this is a very easy way to gain access to someones network.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!