What's new

Two isolated VLANS span two routers (freshtomato) connected by a switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cantorre

New Around Here
Hi,
I am looking for help on several forums.

The Goal
What I want to accomplish is to have a normal (local) network and IoT network, both separated. End game is to be able to assign ports on switch to IoT network as well, but for now I am struggling with WiFi configuration. I do want to allow 1 client from local network to be able to access IoT network, but that would be a next step. I need both networks to be operational on both routers (actually 3 routers, if that makes any difference, which I doubt). Routers are ASUS RT-AC66U_B1.

What I did so far
I was able to successfully configure my main router so that I have local WiFi, IoT WiFi and devices connected to this router are getting IP's from dedicated pools.
Configuration is
1. Using the Basic > Network page, create a new bridge (e.g., br1) w/ its own unique IP network (e.g., 192.168.100.1/24) and DHCP server.
2. Use the Advanced > VLAN page to create a new VLAN (e.g., vlan3), move zero or more LAN ports from the default VLAN (usually vlan1) to the new VLAN, and assign it to the new bridge (I have not assigned any ports to this VLAN, explained later)
3. Go to the Advanced > Virtual Wireless page and create a 2.4GHz VAP and assign it to the new bridge
1652527427808.png

That pretty much was everything I could find on the internet. With no other ideas, I went on to apply the same configuration to the secondary router (with and exception of disabling DHCP)
1652527535612.png

Result
Like mentioned, devices connected to MAIN router are behaving as expected.
But devices trying to connect to SECONDARY router have issues. While devices connected to local WiFi are OK, devices which are trying to connect to IoT WiFi are not getting IP assigned (my smartphone says error when getting IP address from DHCP) and thus cannot connect.

Further research told me I need to tag ports, so I did what I thought would be ok ( I figured port1 on both routers is used for both VLANS so it should be tagged) and I did this on all routers
1652527756385.png

which disabled access to LAN, any WiFi and routers and resulted in hard reset of all 3 routers.

Any help would be appreciated. If that helps, switch is managed (but I have not tried anything on the switch)

Last edited:
Solved, actually routers' configuration was ok, removing switch from the equation proved that the above works. But the switch needs to be configured as well somehow, which is now my next task, but I guess for another forum.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!