What's new

Two Modem Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paulbasel

Occasional Visitor
I have an office with a router on the top floor of my 3 floor house connected to my internet provider. One computer is connected via ethernet, the other is connected via wifi. I am attempting to provide a wifi on the ground floor. I have used a powerline system up to now but the increasing number of dropped connections is driving me mad.

I have two internet connections (wall plugs) on the ground floor, one of which is used by the TV. I also have an old wifi modem. Can I have both modems connected at the same time? If not, how would you suggest solving this problem. I am a novice so please walk me through the solution a step at a time or point me to a good source.

I have two internet connections (wall plugs) on the ground floor, one of which is used by the TV.
What do you mean by "internet connections". Do you mean that these wall sockets are connected to Ethernet cables that go back to the LAN ports of the router on the top floor?

I also have an old wifi modem. Can I have both modems connected at the same time? If not, how would you suggest solving this problem. I am a novice so please walk me through the solution a step at a time or point me to a good source.
What is the make and model number of this WiFi modem? If it can be configured as an access point (and thereby not using the modem part) it would probably work.

@ColinTaylor Pretty sure we're talking coax / CM's here.

@paulbasel If this is indeed the situation you would end up paying double the monthly fee to the ISP for 2 x CM's being hooked up. The best solution would to be getting your house wired with Ethernet to extend things throughout the house. It not only makes life simpler when you want to connect devices to the network but, it also adds resale value when you decide it's time for a new place.

Linksys WRT54G.

Retire that.

What are the make and model of your existing network equipment... cable ISP gateway? cable modem? wireless router? etc? And where are they located and how are they interconnected? And what is the sq ft area of your ground level?

OE

Last edited:
I didn't realize that. Is it always the case that providers do that?
Yes, they consider it an additional connection and charge full price. There's no way to lock the MAC to an address which could be giving someone the modem to use somewhere else like Netflix password sharing.

What are the make and model of your existing network equipment.
I forgot that a friend gave me a Linksys WRT 3200ACM some time ago but didn't use it because the ISP provides the modem/router. I still have it. Here is my network setup.

2nd Floor:
- Cable modem/router is an Arris TG 3442 Touchstone TG3442S Telephony Gateway.
- My Windows PC is connected by ethernet cable to the router. The laptop is connected wirelessly.
- Devolo Powerline 1200+ adapter is connected to the router and to the electrical outlet
- Gigaset landline telephone connected to router.

1st Floor:
no devices

Ground floor:
- Devolo Powerline 1200+ WiFi adapter connected to a electrical outlet.
- Various mobile phones and iPads
- Gigaset Elements home security system (DECT 1880-1900 MHz). The base station is is connected to the Devolo adapter. Other elements on windows and doors.

I want to get rid of the Devolo system - too many drop connections and have a reliable connection for the security system and the wireless devices. The base station must be connected directly to router (currently through the powerline system).

I forgot that a friend gave me a Linksys WRT 3200ACM some time ago but didn't use it because the ISP provides the modem/router. I still have it. Here is my network setup.

2nd Floor:
- Cable modem/router is an Arris TG 3442 Touchstone TG3442S Telephony Gateway.
- My Windows PC is connected by ethernet cable to the router. The laptop is connected wirelessly.
- Devolo Powerline 1200+ adapter is connected to the router and to the electrical outlet
- Gigaset landline telephone connected to router.

1st Floor:
no devices

Ground floor:
- Devolo Powerline 1200+ WiFi adapter connected to a electrical outlet.
- Various mobile phones and iPads
- Gigaset Elements home security system (DECT 1880-1900 MHz). The base station is is connected to the Devolo adapter. Other elements on windows and doors.

I want to get rid of the Devolo system - too many drop connections and have a reliable connection for the security system and the wireless devices. The base station must be connected directly to router (currently through the powerline system).

So, 3x~850sqft levels with cable Internet/TV service (Arris TG 3442 Touchstone TG3442S Telephony Gateway) and coax wiring to a wall jack in every room. Wired office devices including IP phone at gateway on top level; wired media devices and wired DECT (cordless, 1880-1900MHz) security hub on ground level. No Ethernet cabling; maybe option to use MOCA over existing coax. Currently using gateway WiFi from top level. Want to eliminate powerline link and improve WiFi coverage. Apple devices.

OE

Last edited:
No Ethernet cabling; maybe option to use MOCA over existing coax.
I'll look into it but I'm goosey about these technologies that use "wires". I'm not sure they are ready for prime time after my experience with powerline. After finding the Linksys WRT 3200ACM I think I will try to set it up on the 1st floor as a repeater and see if the signal reaches the ground floor. I'll also try to move the security system base station to the 2nd floor and see if the radio signal can reach all the windows and doors in the house. I'll post my results. Thanks for your help.

The best solution would to be getting your house wired with Ethernet to extend things throughout the house.
If I decide to do that what device is plugged into the ethernet socket to broadcast wifi on my ground floor. Unlike you I am not a techy and don't know if I am even asking the right question.

If I decide to do that what device is plugged into the ethernet socket to broadcast wifi on my ground floor. Unlike you I am not a techy and don't know if I am even asking the right question.
Well, you have your modem in X location and then hook that up to a switch that has X ports to plug in the rooms you get wired with Ethernet. Once everything is tied into the switch you can just get an Access Point to connect in the room / area of the house where you want WIFI. Using an AP provides ~1500sq ft of coverage depending on the construction of the house.

Wherever you need the best speeds / coverage is where you place the AP and with their signal strength you might get away with 2 and place them on the 2nd / 1st floors or 1st / 3rd floor with the 2nd floor picking up the signals from either of those other floors.

From a HW perspective it might run ~$350 for the 2 x AP + switch. Using Ethernet will get you better speeds and consistent performance vs moca / power line / mesh options. Just setup the AP's with either auto channel selection or specify one floor to use a lower channel and the other a higher channel for better device selection for stronger signal being preferred. If you put the 3rd floor on the E side and 1st on the W side of the house and you're on the 2nd floor in the middle the device just goes with the stronger signal.

The perks of an AP go beyond better performance if you have a IOT affliction you can setup an SSID for them to stick to on their own to not interfere with your normal devices and isolate their traffic. A decent AP typically offers up to 8 SSID's per band 2.4/5 which gives you the option of a total of 16 "networks". Of course if you use the KISS method then this isn't really something to deal with. Setting up a single SSID for both bands works as well.

Now, if you want to go with the latest 6E / 6ghz a single AP jumps to ~$350. This is mostly going to be for someone in a dense community with tons of WIFI around them and need to use a clear signal to get better WIFI coverage / speed.

then hook that up to a switch that has X ports to plug in the rooms you get wired with Ethernet.
I think I understand but this is all new to me. What if I just wanted to run the ethernet cable from the router on the top floor down through the wall to the ground floor. I would use an wireless access point there. Do I need a switch if this is the only room where I want wifi access?

That would work too. The switch just gives you more ports if you have more devices you want to wire to the router.

I am having trouble visualizing the physical setup. Is this how it would work?

The electrician pulls ethernet cable from the top floor down through the wall to the ground floor. On both floors there are ethernet wall sockets. Can there be two sockets on both floors on a single cable? Then there is a cable from a Lan port on the router to the ethernet wall socket on the top floor. On the ground floor I plug in the AP and the cable from the security system base station. Have I got this right?

You can get dual port wall plates and have the electrician pull 2 cables between floors which is a good idea if one goes bad it's already there and there's less cost since he's already there doing the one cable.

So, the router you would run a cable to the wall and at the other end you would plug in the AP. If you need another port for the security system you can either plug in both cables at the router or get a cheap $10 gigabit switch for the 1st floor and share a single cable back to the router.

Router <> LAN <> Wall
Wall <> AP //or// Wall <> switch <> AP + security system