What's new

Two Synology NAS same Location Backup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Taino718

Occasional Visitor
Recently purchased a second Synology NAS to backup first Synology. The first NAS is a DS216play backing up to a DS213j. I setup each machine separately and all is working great. The DS216play NAS is used for running IP cameras and data storage. I use Hyper Backup from the DS216play to the DS213j for backup.

I ran E-Z internet on the DS216play to setup my Verizon router for FTP , VPN, media server etc. All cameras were set up using the DS216play for snapshot storage, email and FTP. When I log in to the Verizon router I notice that the listed ports settings via the firewall's port forwarding came from the DS213j and not the DS216play.

Is this typical of the router giving the DS213j ports access instead of the DS216play ports? All the ports on the router point to the DS213j except a few that point to the DS216play.

How do I make the Verizon router use the DS26play ports instead of the DS213j?

What is the proper setup for 2 Synology NAS in the same network? The DS216play is admin and the DS213j is admin2. I use a different Quickconnect account for each machine and email.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

Typically the router wouldn't have any port forwards until it's told to. It sounds like you previously had the 216play and then added the 213j later on? Do you have manual or static dhcp reservations for the two NAS devices? Maybe tell us a little more about how those IPs are assigned and what ports are forwarding where.

Typically the router wouldn't have any port forwards until it's told to. It sounds like you previously had the 216play and then added the 213j later on? Do you have manual or static dhcp reservations for the two NAS devices? Maybe tell us a little more about how those IPs are assigned and what ports are forwarding where.

Hi, Originally the DS213j was the primary NAS but purchased new DS216play and made it my primary NAS. Unfortunately I ran E-Z Internet on both the DS216play and DS213j. Both NAS have permanent ip addresses no DHCP.

I am thinking of removing the DS213j from network, resetting router, and rebooting the Verizon router then running E-Z Internet again from DS216play. I am trying to avid this lengthy procedure.

I tried once deleting all the settings from the Verizon router, all port forwarding settings, and starting from the beginning only to find that the router maintain all the port forwarding settings from the DS213j.

I will post with results during the week. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi, corrected problems by resetting Verizon router and removing all references to both the Ds216 and DS213. Reformatted DS216 and reinstalled all software. Copied data back to DS216. Both Ds216 and DS213 working well.