What's new

Two Wireless Routers - One Modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nickff

Occasional Visitor
Looking to try something I have never done.

I have several devices that support N and several that only support G. I currently use an old G router (Buffalo WHR-HP-G54) that has great range, but has one bad ethernet port on the back.

I have a newer N router (Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H). I would like to have both routers up and running; the N router supporting the N devices and the G router supporting the G devices. Also, I am hoping this would give me 7 ethernet ports to which I can hard-wire devices.

First, can this be done? Second, both routers use 192.169.1.1 as the address to access them and make changes. Can that be changed? Does it need to be?

I know a little about setting up a network, but this set up is a bit out of my knowledge base.

TIA

Your N router should have just as much power and range (actually higher speeds over longer range) than the G router. If it doesn't, then you have a really crappy N router.

There are tools mentioned in these forums for you to test your signal strength with.

Hanging on to a router with one failed port means there is a high probability something else will eventually fail on it too. Chances are that router has slower switching than your N router does to it's LAN ports.

Your N router will also connect fine with G devices.

I'd say check the DD-WRT forums, or tomato forums to see if your N router supports 3rd party firmware, to have more config options to tweak, but that might be outside your comfort zone and in that case there's not a great reason to do it.

If you need more switch ports than your N router provides check websites like tech bargains, slick deals, and newegg, and amazon, you can routinely get a 5-8 port gigabit switch you can plug into your N-router in any LAN port that will give you an extra 4-7 ports (since one will be used to connect to router). It requires no setup and is plug & play, you can find them for $20-25 or less on those sites all the time.

Maybe sell your G router on eBay for $10 (mentioning the dead port)???

IMHO that would be the best way to get the most benefit with least time & headache, especially since, as you said, you're kind of new to playing around with this stuff.

HTH!

Hi,
Cascading two router is an option for you. Only then 6 LAN port is available for devices.
And WiFi access to either router.

suggestion: don't cascade routers. Problems with double-NAT and avoiding two DHCP servers.
Instead, make one a re-purposed WiFi router, to be a WiFi access point (AP). The WAN port goes unused.
See FAQ on main pages here.

Just so OP is clear, an N router can simultaneously connect to both N & G devices at the max speed that device can do at that distance.

If you have the sq footage that would benefit from having an auxiliary AP wired to your main router, sure that's explained here and elsewhere.

My main point was your motivation seemed to primarily be more hardwired ports, in which case getting a cheap switch to plug into your router is a very very easy thing to do. I just saw a well rated TP-link 5 port gigabit model at Newegg for $18 shipped free.

That's a good point but the age of that article should be compared to that of OP's newer N router (4 years newer). I can't find that it was ever tested on SNB, but mentioned at least, also that it has a DD-WRT flavor built in.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-news/31538-buffalo-adds-three-stream-n-router

I'm just trying to keep as simple as possible for a guy who apparently just wants more LAN ports and referring back to an article written 2 years before the N standard was finalized, and 4 years before his router came out, might just confuse the issue. ;)

There are many "right" answers to this question though. But you have ability to log in to your N router and easily see the speeds individual clients are connected at, for your own planning & reference purposes.

I'm just trying to keep as simple as possible for a guy who apparently just wants more LAN ports and referring back to an article written 2 years before the N standard was finalized, and 4 years before his router came out, might just confuse the issue. ;)
Why don't we see what the original poster has to say?

If the issue is more ports, then adding a switch is the way to go, sure.

The basic mechanism of G devices slowing down an N WLAN hasn't changed. G devices still require more air time to transmit the same amount of data as N. The only point not made in the article is that most people won't notice a problem with G devices that aren't in heavy use.

Why don't we see what the original poster has to say?
<snip snip> .

That was very dramatic, I thought you were going to produce him in a puff of smoke with that intro. ;)

Also, the title to this thread just makes me laugh each time I read it. Thanks internet, for stealing "two __, one ___" from my head and corrupting it.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!