What's new

TX Power Transmission of DSL-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AstonV

Occasional Visitor
Hi, does anyone know where I can find what the specs on TX Transmission power on for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels of the Stock Asus DSL-AC68U in performace? Thanks

Transmit power is a dynamic affair now, where power level will vary based on the channel, region, number of streams, etc... It's no longer a static fire-and-forget value like in the 802.11g days.

Hi, does anyone know where I can find what the specs on TX Transmission power on for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels of the Stock Asus DSL-AC68U in performace? Thanks
However, if you desire specifications and you are in the US the FCC certification documents should give that to you. Outside the US, look on the router label for the country specific organization that certified.

Thank you all. I think the real question I am asking is when the stock router TX power is set on performance, what would be the maximum TX Power that the router firmware is limiting it to. Lets say for the UK variant. Thanks.

... what would be the maximum TX Power that the router firmware is limiting it to.
That would depend on country specific requirements. You would have to check with the UK certification authority to determine what maximum power is allowed and then compare with the certification documentation which would have the results on tests, in a controlled environment, specific to that router.

Other than that, there is no way to obtain the value set from the router?
Not that I am aware of. Realize that you are dealing with electronics and firmware. The electronics should be designed not to exceed the maximum permitted in a country. The firmware, conceivably, could control the output on a percentage basis. Today, one cannot depend on transmit power being a constant because of newer routers having adaptive level capability.

Thank you all. I think the real question I am asking is when the stock router TX power is set on performance, what would be the maximum TX Power that the router firmware is limiting it to. Lets say for the UK variant. Thanks.

Again, it will vary based on the channel used, and number of streams.

For an example as to how complicated it is, here is an example calibration file used to set different power levels based on all the involved parameters:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/R...ase/src-rt-6.x.4708/wl/clm/src/wlc_clm_data.c

Just a very small random piece of it:

Code:
   /* Locale K-13 (K_13) */
   CHANNEL_SET_2, 0, /* Locale channels (20M), locale flags */
   RESTRICTED_SET_NONE, /* Restricted channels */
       1, /* Public Maxpwr: 1 elt(s) */
   20, RANGE_2G_20M_1_13,    /* 20dBm, 1-13 */
       CLM_DATA_FLAG_WIDTH_20 | CLM_DATA_FLAG_MEAS_COND, /* Maxpower Group Flags */
       3, /*  Locale Maxpwr: 3 elt(s) */
   62, RANGE_2G_20M_1_12,    RATE_SET_20M_146, /* 15.50dBm,   1-12 , (OFDM6-54) */
   72, RANGE_2G_20M_1_13,    RATE_SET_20M_0,   /* 18.00dBm,   1-13 , (DSSS1-11) */
   60, RANGE_2G_20M_13_13,   RATE_SET_20M_146, /* 15.00dBm,  13-13 , (OFDM6-54) */

Thanks guys. Yep, sure is complicated and way beyond me. I have found max for 2.4ghz is 100mw, for 5ghz (channels 36-64) is 200mw and for 5ghz (channels 100-140) it is 1000mw. The reason for my research is I am trying to understand without mentioning any names, why some Merlin mods are not allowed to be discussed on this forum. It looks like those mods are perfectly legal here in the UK if the reason for silencing discussion of those mods are because of the tx power transmission.

I am not sure if I am allowed to critisise the forum policy but I would like to exercise this right. Mere discussion of the certain mod in question is not illegal even under US Laws. Providing link to files hosted somewhere else is nothing less than what google search engine does and that is also not considered illegal under US Laws. So why is it the forum owners feel the need to create certain policies? I perfectly well understand it is their forum so it is their rules. But that doesn't really provide a satisfactory reason (not that I am saying that they are obliged to provide one). Web 2.0 content only exist of the participants and participants should not be muzzled if they are not breaking any laws by discussion. Without participants, this website and forum does not exist. Inclusive is always better than exclusive. Discussion promotes learning. Ethical learning or not is another topic entirely. Thank you for reading my boring post!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Yep, sure is complicated and way beyond me. I have found max for 2.4ghz is 100mw, for 5ghz (channels 36-64) is 200mw and for 5ghz (channels 100-140) it is 1000mw. The reason for my research is I am trying to understand without mentioning any names, why some Merlin mods are not allowed to be discussed on this forum. It looks like those mods are perfectly legal here in the UK if the reason for silencing discussion of those mods are because of the tx power transmission.

Really? Are you saying non-DFS 1000mW channels are perfectly legal in UK? Can you provide evidence which supports this?

I think you'll find that one of the reasons why members are not allowed to discuss certain forks of Asus firmware on SNB is that certain firmware(s) easily allow you to change the wifi radio output power therefore potentially breaking the wifi power regulations in your country. Its nothing to do with freedom of speech.

Really? Are you saying non-DFS 1000mW channels are perfectly legal in UK? Can you provide evidence which supports this?

Sorry, my bad, I should have clarified. It is DFS 1000mW channels and not non-DFS. The source was CableFree.

Thanks for the explanations. I think its the frustration talking, that some of us have no intentions of breaking the laws and there seems to be no solution for our DSL Routers and when we do find a possible solution, but as noobs need guidance, we get shut down, disheartened and demotivated. I have seen this recurring in this forum in many post. But other times its like I feel any knowledge is good.

Okay, I think I see what you mean. Those forks you have to use manual control of channel so I am assuming it would be constantly at 1000mW and not dynamic. Dammit. Why couldn't it just be left as it is without these mod with just the DSL component added.

Okay, I think I see what you mean. Those forks you have to use manual control of channel so I am assuming it would be constantly at 1000mW and not dynamic. Dammit. Why couldn't it just be left as it is without these mod with just the DSL component added.
RT-AC68U or DSL-AC68U (same beside DSL part, so some even running rt-ac68u firmware on it) never had more than 700mW max, not possible with this chipset and hardware. And over 350mW more destortions than benefit.

RT-AC68U or DSL-AC68U (same beside DSL part, so some even running rt-ac68u firmware on it) never had more than 700mW max, not possible with this chipset and hardware. And over 350mW more destortions than benefit.
Yes, and you lose functionalities such as modem, usb, the indicator lights and will be buggy as different chipsets and was not originally intended for that router. Which leaves the DSL users with nothing. The stock firmware is fine just that PS4 needs to bypass VPN and this is not available on stock. Didn't buy the RT as did not like the idea of a separate modem. One extra device was not appealing and didn't see the point.

Didn't buy the RT as did not like the idea of a separate modem. One extra device was not appealing and didn't see the point.
Same for me, but needed new modem for v.fast (super vectoring) so sold it and got an RT.
But you still have the option to change region like on rt-68u with all advantages, only have to look on other places than here.

Mere discussion of the certain mod in question is not illegal even under US Laws.

Facilitating distribution is illegal, hence the ban on any download link.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!